From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:54:36 -0400
Only about 15% of the blockages that ferrets get show up on x-rays.  It's
something a person has to keep in mind for lethargy combined with refusal
to eat.

Can you get the ferret to take meat baby foods?  If the problem is an
illness bothering the GI tract that will be more gentle.

Please, look in the resources I mention in another post here today and
see what things may mesh well or might help.

 ---

The little one with insulinoma and hind end weakness.  Doses have to be
increased over time so call your vet and see if that is an option, or if
you can begin to also give Proglycem (Diazoxide), or both.

 ---

>How long has or did your ferret live with insulinoma with medical
>treatment and care but no surgery?  I have been reading lately and was
>shocked to find my Otis has about 186 days to live without surgery.  I
>had no idea it was this short.

That is an average from a study.  Yes, it is better to operate when that
is an option.  Warp, our 8 year old, is not a surgical candidate and had
been on Prednisone for around 9 months, then we added Proglycem, recently
we have also added ingested sugar to give her more quality time.  The
combination is working so far.  Her Pred isn't pegged, yet (but likely
will be after today).  We don't give sugars earlier in insulinoma because
of possible yo-yoing, but insulinomae themselves are not responsive to
blood glucose levels, plus insulinomae suppress normal tissue over time --
therefore treating advanced insulinoma is not at all the same ball-game
as early insulinoma.  If it gives her longer quality time then the sweets
are sweet in many ways.  BTW, chromium or Brewer's yeast should NOT be
given with insulinoma; they decrease blood glucose levels.

>But, Today I get the call back from the vet who sounds very upset with me
>and basically told me I either need to trust what he is telling me to do
>or find another vet.  I thought this was a little rude but am I wrong?

Your vet KNOWS your ferret and your ferret's specifics.  Folks do NOT
know that long-distance.  Some vets like to start Proglycem later, some
like to start it at the same time.  Sometimes it depends on the individual
case.  I think that the vet had a reasonable point; caring for a ferret
is a partnership.  Sometimes the chemistry just isn't there for clear
communication and that is not a one-side-or-the-other problem unless
the same individual runs into it repeatedly.  Look around and check the
various vet lists in multiple resources at http://geocities.com/sukieslist

>I didn't mean to insinuate that Tigger is a 'biting/nipping' fuzz.  As
>none of my fuzzies nip or bite.  Just suddenly he has become 'amorous'.
>Overly lovin, with my legs while in shorts.  He climbs them softly, noses
>them all over, then rolls down onto my feet and rolls all over them.
>Then while he is in his 'amorous' state, he takes a nip.

How old?  We've had that as the first sign of adrenal neoplasia in a
male ferret.