From:
"Howell, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 1996 16:42:00 EDT
Help! Please!
My neutered male, Oscar, of undetermined age is very very sick and we're
running out of things to try.

He began acting lethargic and nauseous (pawing at mouth) Sunday night.  By
Monday, he was very sluggish and having black tarry stools.  Quick trip to
the vet on Memorial Day.  No temperature.  Palpated abdomen-no obstructions.
No obvious throat or tooth problems.  Glucose test ruled out diabetes.
Tuesday he was still not eating or drinking much at all.  Any solid foods
(cat crunchies) were vomited back up.  A blend of Sustecal and mushed banana
was edible and stayed down.  Duck soup was completely unappetizing.  He
would swallow a little water after the banana stuff but very little.
Wednesday he was acting a little better, but still no appetite.  Went to vet
#2 (our regular) for fluids (25 cc subcu).  Found info on gastric ulcers/
heliobacter m.  suggested triple therapy (pepto, amoxy, flagel) to vet,
thought it sounded reasonable.  Thursday afternoon.  after three rounds of
triple therapy still not drinking or eating on his own.  vomited after am
dose.  less interested in banana stuff.  he has a little more energy from
two shots of sustecal syringed down his throat last night.

I have three questions
1) does the diagnosis sound right?
2) what treatment would you recommend?
3) if appropriate, how can we get the flagel (very yucky) down his throat?
He's wearing himself out fighting the scruff and stuff method.  (some
display of energy!)

Please Please Please Any and all help would be appreciated ASAP!
Please e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask]
Thank you so much!!
Cindee, Myron and Oscar (the puny one)
Also: Thistle and Pico (no symptoms so we're assuming it's not contagious)