From:
Jim Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 1997 13:28:44 PDT
Let me first reintroduce myself.  I was once receiving the FML and had to
quit because of schooling.  I am now back.  My name is Jim Wilkinson and I
have 9 fuzzies.  I live in the West Monroe area of Louisiana.

I followed the kodo related subject with great interest via a friend of mine
that would print the FML and bring me a hard copy.  Thanks Victoria Foster
for doing this for me.  Quite often here in the US does policy get changed
by making one a martyr.  Kodo my he least not be forgotten!

In Louisiana From 1950 to 1980 only 10 ferrets was tested for rabies out of
the ten none had a postive result.  I am in the process of obtaining the
facts from 1980 to present and will get back to all after I receive them.

By Louisiana Revised statues turns the rabies control over to the Dept of
health and human resources to be controled in the State Sanitary code.

Dogs are required to be vaccinated Cats and ferrets are not.

Chapter 3 section 006
"Any animal other than a dog or cat that bites a human being, or any animal
that is suspected of being infected with rabies (whether or not it has
bitten anyone), may be caused by the State Health Officer for the protection
of the public health, to be killed and the head of such animal examined for
rabies free of charge by a laboratory of the Louisiana Department of Health
and Human Resources"

They don't even state in the law to follow the latest CDC's recommendations.

The Revised Statues also states to allow local Parishes and Cities to adopt
their own control.  So the law can change from town to town and from parish
to parish.  (Parish in Louisiana = County.)

Jim Wilkinson