From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2012 06:39:32 -0700
I have been with many of my ferrets as they were sent to the bridge and
by far prefer the tummy shot.

The emergency vets here refuse to do it and insists on putting a
catheter in the arm, then allowing me to hold my baby. For a sick and
dying ferret I think it's cruel to subject them to more pain and upset
with me not there to comfort them.

I had one old boy given gas to put him in a light sleep, then he got
two heart sticks. The gas alone upset him and he panicked, I'll never
do that again.

Our personal vet has allowed me to choose the best method and I always
stay right with them, they never leave my arms. They get a quick shot
in the tummy of an overdose with a tiny needle, then gently drift off
to sleep in my arms. The whole process can take 10 minutes and I think
that's the deterrent to vets who are money oriented, in my opinion
anyway.

Leslie