From:
Joy Barkley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:37:21 -0500
Hello, I just wanted to vent a little about a situation concerning my
fuzzies.  My boyfriend has an ex-wife and a 16 month old daughter ~ Abby.
And basically his ex-wife doesn't want to be without Abby (such as
weekend visits with dad), which ... I can understand how she feels being
that I also have a daughter.  The problem is she is trying to blame her
daughter having the sniffles and a cough on my little fuzzies.  She has
had cold symptoms on and off for the last 4 or 5 months and one case of
croup ... she also has had a low grade fever probably twice in the last
4 or 5 months due to teething.  Abby has been around the ferrets probably
a half a dozen times and never has shown any signs of being allergic to
them.  (If she does have cold symptoms, they don't get worse when she's
around the ferrets and most of the time when she comes down with
something it's when she's at home and not around the ferrets.)  She has
went as much as six weeks without seeing the ferrets a nd still has had
cold symptoms.  Abby is getting an allergy test next week and her mom
made sure that the doctor had a test for ferrets (doctor had to get
ferret hair off of a local pet store).  I absolutely do NOT believe that
Abby is allergic to the ferrets but for some reason I'm worried the test
will come back positive.  I believe what Abby's problem is her mom and
grandfather (where she goes for babysitting) is smoking around her.
Abby's mom doesn't think this is the problem because they've always
smoked around her and she was never sick until she started going with dad
on the weekends.

I'm also trying to avoid a big fight with my boyfriend, but when he was
speaking hypothetically one day, he said that if Abby were allergic to
the dogs (one his and one mine) or the ferrets (all mine) they would have
to go.  I told him that even if she were allergic to the pets, that I
didn't think the severity of her symptoms where enough to get rid of
the pets, especially when there are things that can help, such as air
purifiers and such.  Don't worry about me giving up my fuzzies ... I told
him that before the fuzzies went, he would go :)

p.s. I would appreciate any advice but before you do I have to tell you
that my ferrets have a very good home.  They live in a castle (not my
house, you know, the cage from New Jersey) which gets cleaned once a
week, wood pellet litter changed daily.  They get the run of the house
except for the bedrooms.  My house is well kept and even the cleaning
lady says that she would never know that we had 12 ferrets and 2 dogs.