From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 02:31:02 EDT
Hey and Dooka-Dook !!

Here is a story that can be easily related to ferrets.  A good friend and
former co-worker (or is it former friend and good co-worker ?) brings over
her dog.  A handsome faun miniature pinscher.

She relates that she would like us to try to work with the dog to calm her
down.  It seems the dog (Spice) "without warning or provocation" bit her
youngest son on the face.  <Sound familiar?>   Since my roomie and I have
both raised and trained dogs, we accepted the challenge.

Well, there was the normal growling, snarling, and scared period (both us
and the dog - Spice found out I can growl and bark louder).  Spice has
become quite a lover.  He frequently will come onto the couch to be petted
or play.  Gives kisses frequently, and has integrated well with the other
2 dogs.  I said it before, and I say it again.  Animals know who love and
respect them.  They will give that love and respect in return

The other night I had the kids out in the room, dogs in the living room.  I
normally just have a plexiglas barrier in the doorway to keep the ferts in.
Spice has knocked the barrier down to come into the room, so I supplemented
the plexi with a steel cage type barrier.

I went into the laundry room and took some clothes out of the dryer.  I
then made a cup of coffee and went to put on my uniform pants.  I felt a
small bundle in the pants leg.  Thinking it was a sock or something, I
reached in and pulled out a fert.  My first reaction was, "Awww Rascal -
how cute!  Want to help daddy get dressed?".  Then reality hit - I WAS IN
THE LAUNDRY ROOM !!  WHAT ARE FERTS DOING IN THE LAUNDRY ROOM !!  THE
SLIDING DOOR WAS WIDE OPEN FOR THE DOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Running towards the bedroom I pass a playtime frolic in the living room.  6
ferts and 3 dogs dooking,running, bouncing.  Couldn't tell who was worse,
the ferts or the dogs !!!  I grabbed the ferts and ran into the bedroom -
the dog/fert combination had undone both the gates.

Despite whines, whimpers, and cries of "Aw!  C'mon dad!  We want to play
some more !!!!" from both the dogs and the ferts, I herded the fuzzbutts
into the cage and did a headcount.  <Whew!> All present and accounted
for !!!!

No one better tell these dogs that they were bred to hunt rodents and
small furry kritters !!!  To see them all play together, I don't believe
it myself.

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Critter Crew
Featuring the ~~~Terrific~~~Tumultous~~~Twelve~~~  (PLUS 1), ummm PLUS 2
nah, nah - need something new . . . . . . .    how 'bout  . . . . . . .
~~THE~~FANTASTIC~~FUZZY~~FLURRY~~OF~~FOURTEEN~~
~Furrice~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Socks~Cuddles~Java~Rascal~Miss Priss~
~Cinna~Racer~
Introducing MUTTLEY TRISKADEKFERT and [insert name here]
Guest STAR - ~Fur-Angel Lady~
Cast Appearance by - Min-Pins Geordi , Jaida, and house guest SPICE
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow
ferts ~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, and ~Bandit~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!