From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 02:41:30 -0400
Sue...
I really haven't noticed any kind of bias towards people who live in
metropolitan areas with their ferts and those who don't.  I've been reading
the list nearly a year, and the thought hadn't ever crossed my mind.  With
the exception of flair ups regarding certain pet store chains, or pet
stores that treat ferrets badly I've found there is more emphasis here on
mail order companies and web based companies (this is an email list so web
companies aren't that strange to suggest) that sell ferret supplies, making
it easier for people to buy what they need no matter where they live.  I
know quite a few people on this list who live in very small towns without
pet stores, and haven't ever heard a thing about them feeling left out.

I realize you said that you won't do mail order, even so you might want to
consider The Ferret Store.  It's run by ferret owners for ferret owners and
I'm sure they would take any steps you wanted them to in order to make mail
order a better experience for you.  You can order online, through a printed
catalog, or over the phone.  You don't have to have a credit card to order,
they don't charge for shipping on orders over $10 and they will meet or
beat anyone else's price.  And they do have "everything" your ferret could
need or want.  (I don't work for them, I just think they're wonderful
people and a great company)

I think it's a great idea to order supplies through your vet if you can,
and I'm glad you have that option.  I don't think you should worry about
people on this list degrading you just because you live in a rural area.
But I would have to wonder if you live somewhere that doesn't have the
supplies you need for your pet, and you can't find any other way to buy
them, why would you risk having that pet in the first place, knowing you
can't get what it needs?  Perhaps someone on this list would be willing to
be the middle man, buy your supplies for you and send them upon payment?
This list is full of amazingly wonderful caring and generous people, you
would be surprised what lengths they would go to, to help you.  All you
have to do is ask.

There are plenty of reasons to be concerned about pet stores, especially
the ones that sell pets that they keep in horrible conditions and exploit
them for monetary value, not knowing anything about the pets they are
selling.  It sets up a chain reaction for all sorts of horrors from sick
animals to people who have no idea what they are buying and then neglect
the animal due to ignorance.  I'm not going to point the finger at Petco
because there are lots of stores that do this.  Then to there are some pet
stores who are very good with their animals, but just like people there are
good and bad businesses.  I think the comment made was generally most towns
that have stores..(metropolitan or otherwise) have pet stores that don't
sell pets.  And that it may be in your best interest to support them, and
not the ones treating animals like merchandise instead of living things.
I'm sorry that you felt you were being "vilified" but I'm sure there will
be many other people on this list who will tell you that isn't the case at
all.

Sincerely
Robynn McCarthy