From:
Michelle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:24:05 +0000
Maybe it is just me folks, but I kinda get aggravated when I hear about
people getting rid of their ferrets because of "unacceptable behavior"...
especially to hear of people with kids, who get rid of their beloved pets,
because their ferret nipped their child.

I guess we really do live in a disposable society, when we teach our kids
"if you dont like the way something is, get rid of it".... I have three
children, and three ferrets.  Two of my ferrets (both MF) are males, and
passive and easy going for the most part, the other fert is a non MF female
who is a "hit and run" nipper (formerly a fear biter deluxe) I have gotten
to know my ferrets, because I love them and want what is best for them.  I
have tried to learn what aggravates them, and what might cause them to nip
or bite.  For example, Gypsy, 1 1/2 yr.  MF male is usually non aggressive
with the kids.  Until he started biting the back of my sons legs when my son
would give a high pitched squeal (son was 3 at the time) He never broke the
skin, but it was enough to make my flighty son panic.  The ferret would war
dance, my son would run and squeal, the ferret would then bite, claw and try
and climb my sons legs.  I taught my son to stand still, as war dancing cant
hurt anyone, and to not run and make such a shrill noise.  Gypsy only wanted
to play after all.  That ended that case of nipping.  Another example is
Hugo, five month old MF male.  He is a loving little fellow who will eat
anything that tastes/smells like food.  Kids were trying to play with him
after they had their breakfast, and Hugo had to be removed from one of their
hands.  I noticed as this time that the hand Hugo was attached to was greasy
and smelled like bacon (bacon for breakfast) So I have since taught my kids,
not to handle hugo with the smell of food on their hands, if you value your
fingers!  My children also know not to squeak toys , or blow whistles around
Shandy, our 8 month old non MF girl, or she will puff up, lunge and attack.

I have chose to educate my children, and myself about what might provoke the
ferrets, instead of getting rid of them for "unacceptable behavior"....My
kids know you dont get rid of a ferret because it bites you, no more than
you get rid of your sister because she provoked you by laughing at you when
you got in trouble, or because the baby bit you on your arm for turning the
cartoons off.

Now I might feel differently if my ferrets were rotweilers, and tried to
take one of my kids face off.  But they aren't rotweilers, their nips and
bites never cause damage to the point where I am dialing 911, and the
ferrets can be easily contained until the crisis is over or the bleeding
has stopped.  (that was a joke)

I hope I am raising my kids to have a healthy respect for animals, and what
they are capable of doing, and how the benefits far outweigh a few nips here
and there.  (not to mention the random piles of poop I sometimes miss on the
floor) They now know what the ferrets like and dont like, what makes them
happy and what makes them nippy.  You shouldn't get rid of a ferret because
it bites you, you make modifications, you train, you love, and you get to
know your ferrets and work around their quirks.

Chelle, the ferrets 3 and the non furry 3