From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 17:31:03 -0400
  To Michelle and Peanut -

        Michelle - The hair loss that you have described is generally related to
a proliferative lesion in the adreanl gland of the ferret - this is the case 9
out of 10 times.  Notice that I have used the words "proliferative lesion"
rather than "tumor", because not all of the glands contain tumors, and not all
are "cancer".  But they do all cause noticeable hair loss.  As a general rule,
surgical removal of the affected adrenal gland will result in hair regrowth.  A
fairly comprehensive study of this problem can be found in the Jul 15 1993 issue
of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, which I'm sure
that your vet subscribes to.

To all subscribers of the list:

        Re: Susan Brown's comments:

        I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. Brown's comments concerning the
publication of medical information in ferret newsletters without review by a
knowledgeable veterinarian.  Putting out improper information, even with the
best of intentions, is far worse that not putting out information at all.

        I am always available to look at articles that are of a medical nature
that are submitted for publication.  If there is a desire out there, I am more
than happy to write articles on various subjects relating to ferret diseases;
this is my area of specialty, rather than ferret care, nutrition, or other
facets of husbandry.  If your newsletter is interested in a piece on a certain
facet of ferret disease, give me a call.  With enough lead time, I will
certainly attempt to help you out.  Realize that these will not always be
"exclusive" articles, but may appear in other newsletters as the need arises.

Bruce Williams, DVM
[log in to unmask] (202) 576-2454