From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:48:38 -0500
I didn't have time for a thorough search but maybe I can find something
which will help in the FHL Archives.

These are from the ferret veterinary pathologist, Dr. Bruce Williams who
I have permission to quote:

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG9111
which reads in part:
>mammary gland hyperplasia as a result of the adrenal disease.  The
>increased estrogen can do it - it's certainly not common, but I have
>seen in about five times over the years.
  and
  http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG4682
  including:
>Mammary hyperplasia (or for that matter, mammary tumors) are very
>uncommon in domestic ferrets - but interestingly, very common in
>black-footed ferrets, but that's a whole different subject.
>
>However, in 50% of the 4 cases of mammary hyperplasia I have seen in
>ferrets, the animals had concomitant adrenal tumors.  While this finding
>may simply be coincidental, the possibility that the mammary hyperplasia
>is a direct result of excessive estrogen/hydroxyprogesterone liberation
>from an adrenal lesion cannot be ignored.  The relative infrequence of
>it, couple with the ubiquitousness of adrenal disease, though, ceratinly
>makes one think that there may be another trigger involved in this
>process.
>
>It would be interesting to see if the mammary lesion regressed if the
>adrenal problem is addressed.

also, From Dr. Jerry Murray to whom I listen on all things
endocrinological (and have permission to quote):
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG6389
includes in part of a discussion on melatonin implants:

>These may all be beneficial to the ferret with adrenal gland disease,
>especially ones with prostatic enlargement or mammary gland hyperplasia.
>If your vet would like more info, or info on how to order the implants

and
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG3286
with:

>Ovaban is megestrol acetate.  It is a potent oral progestogen with
>anti-estrogenic properties.  Side effects include mammary enlargement,
>listlessness, and possible diabetes and mammary cancer.

and
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG4631
on the risks of Megace

There might be others in there for you.

Home news:

Ashling seems to be doing very well after her first dose of Lasix -- more
energetic with reduced fluid build-up.

The neurologist eliminated the most common serious concerns from the
line-up for my cavovarus feet.  I have one or two MRIs ahead and some
testing, but it looks like I'll be lucky and rather than it being new
it could be entirely orthopedic so perhaps related to my infant skew Z
feet (I gather that type isn't called clubfoot usually now.) or to CNS
damage from a past neuromuscular disease i had which just is causing
some cumulative damage down the line.  Talk about relief!  I don't think
we could have been happier if we'd won the lottery.  A friend with a
neuro-degenerative disorder was so happy to not welcome me to the club
that he sounded like he was crying.  Meanwhile, my braces will be made
and I have been told that those will control the pain and stop the
falling so I am very, very much looking forward to having happy,
relaxing, fun walks which I sorely miss!