From:
Rbossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 18:24:58 EST
I don't if anyone remembers, but nearly 5 months ago I posted a request for
information on the treatment of heartworm in an insulinomic ferret.

Frasier and his buddy Tylor came into our shelter a few weeks earlier.
Although Tylor was a "normal" looking light, silver panda, Frasier was a
frail looking silver mitt; blind in one eye from a cataract.  No matter how
much we fed him, Frasier never would gain weight.  As time went on, he
became less and less active.  We took him into Dr. Dutton's for an
examination.

Blood tests came back showing that he had insulinoma, but more disturbing
was the suspicion of heartworm, confirmed a little later with an x-ray.
His heart was probably too weak to allow him to survive surgery until after
the worm was killed.

We started him off on ivermectin (68 mcg) once a month.  This was to
continue for 6 months.  The hope was to slowly kill off the worm so that
it wouldn't break into small pieces and cause a blockage of the lungs, or
brain.  He was also placed on prednisone to control the insulinoma until he
was strong enough for surgery on his pancreas.

Into his third month of treatment, my wife Joan, noticed Frasier taking
frequent trips to the litter box, but with no production.  She rushed him
into Dutton's.  He did emergency surgery to remove a tumorous adrenal gland
that had caused his prostrate tissue to swell and block the elimination of
urine.  Frasier was also catherized until the prostrate swelling would open
the passage of urine.  He survived the adrenal surgery.

About a week later, I looked in on him and noticed blood all over the
bedding.  I carefully pulled Frasier out of his blanket, and noticed that
the incision was ripping open and his insides were beginning to spill out.
It was late at night, but Dr. Dutton responded quickly and met us at his
office.  He immediately took over; cleaned and stitched him up again.  We
took him home the next day.

One week later, Joan looked in on Frasier to see his insides were hanging
out.  He had ripped all of the stitches out this time.  Another quick trip
to the vet.  This time the risk of infection was very high.  Dr. Dutton
double stitched him with heavy thread.  Apparently the prednisone was
slowing the healing process, so Frasier was taken off of the prednisone.  We
not only had to watch for infection but also hypoglycemia.

Frasier was now down to 1 pound 6 ounces.

Through all of this his spirit never faltered.  He was always interested in
his play time (although he fell asleep after a short time).  He was always
craving attention, and often fell asleep on my lap or in my arms.

Three weeks ago his stitches were removed.  Two weeks ago his weight was
nearly up to 2 pounds, and just the other day did his first ferret dance
since he came to us.

He still doesn't look like much.  His fur is sparse; he has a peculiar walk;
and perhaps because of his partial blindness, he holds his head at an odd
angle.  But I've never seen a person or other animal display the spirit or
the will to live that he has.  He's never given up in situations that would
have even the strongest of us wondering if it was worth going on.

Once again ferrets have taught me a major lesson in life and in living.

Dick B.