From:
Vickie McKimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:10:29 -0700
Since Ed Crist posted part of the emails from Clarence and me, here is my
reply to Clarence.

Clarence & Shirley,

>I take extreme offense at your attitude. You and other members of your
>board have singled out my wife and have persecuted her for being honest
>and trying to overcome a very difficult situation.

I am sorry you were offended.  I don't understand how or why you think AFA
is singling you out.  This policy is for all attendees who have or have had
a ferret test positive for ADV in their care.  It is known that you did
have ferrets test positive for ADV in your care.  One even died from ADV.

>She is not like those who have kept this thing a secret for over a two
>years.

AFA has not kept this a secret.  If I had not personally raised a concern
over ADV after visiting the White's in San Antonio in the fall of 98, there
could be many more ferrets infected with this dreadful disease.  Because
I raised such concern, many ferrets have been tested and the ferret
population, as a whole, is now safer for that testing.

>Your lack of compassion and defense was obvious at the show in New Jersey
>where you stated that she had to move her stand because "there were people
>who didn't want to be near her."

I had many other exhibitors and vendors express a wish to not be located
next to you.  I get this all the time from exhibitors as well as vendors
not wanting to be located next to someone.  You should remember, though,
I did not make you move, and relocated the other individuals instead.  I
think Shirley came up to thanked me for this.

>You have known my wife for years and know that her prime goal has always
>been to try to please everyone and make them feel better about themselves.

AFA's primary goal is for the safety and protection of all ferrets.

>You also know that she loves ferrets and would NEVER put them at risk.
>You should have defended her if nothing else.  Now you have added insult
>to injury by again singling her out, I noticed that WarmFuzzy was the sole
>recipient of this directive and all of the carbon copies went to board
>members.

At this time, there are only two ferret households attending the event that
have had known ADV positive ferrets, yours and Danee DeVores.  Danee will
be in attendance at the show, without ferrets.  I am really glad you are
going to be at the expo and I hope it is successful for you and your
shelter.

>Do you honestly expect people to pay for retesting every eight weeks when
>the results are constantly negative? If you expect this response at all of
>your shows, either your organization will have to pay for this testing or
>require testing of all ferrets coming into your show.

This is not like distemper and rabies, where vaccines are readily
available.  As long as the vaccines are within approved dates the ferret
is protected.  We do not have a vaccine for ADV.  The test is only as good
as when the sample is drawn, and if folks test too early, the test is not
reliable then.  Most shelters and breeders have done at least random
testing.  This policy will evolve as more research is done for this
disease.

>Consider that the message you have presented throughout this whole scarry

>situation is to "keep your mouth shut". If anyone has a ferret that tests
>ADV positive they will definitely not tell you or anyone else for fear of
>the same treatment that you have given my wife.

Like I said before, we are not singling you and Shirley out.  We are
more than happy to have you come vend at any AFA event.  You have made
statements to many that you would never do another AFA event because the
AFA is trying to put you out of business.  This could not be further from
the truth.  This kind of talk and innuendo does more harm than good to the
ferret community.  If you would like to be more involved in developing
procedures and guidelines to ensure the safety of all ferrets at events,
AFA would be happy to have your help.  It is our hope that by getting as
much information out to ferret owners everywhere, we could possibly contain
and/or eradicate ADV from the domestic ferret population.

Vickie McKimmey
Just a Business of Ferrets
A multitude of ferrets is known as a 'business of ferrets'.
American, Australian, English and Swedish bloodlines available.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jbferret
703-777-2112      fax:  703-777-3247
American Ferret Association ~ www.ferret.org