From:
JANET YOUNG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 05:11:45 UT
Hello, it's Janet from Toronto here with a request for help on behalf of a
little foundling fert brought in to the local Humane Society, where I and my
friend help out.

This little girl only came in on Saturday, looking very forlorn and skinny
and VERY scared.  So we gave her a very quick look over and apart from being
thin, she looked in need of a good rest - so we clipped her long curly nails
and settled her in for the night, with the intention of coming back with the
shampoo bottle today.

When we got in today, it would seem she has been diagnosed as having a
prolapsed rectum and they were all set to put her to sleep, except the
ferret- friendly technician pleaded her cause and said we volunteers had a
great interest in her.  ....phew!  that was close, but I need to know what
can be done for her.

For starters, I don't think we would have even noticed the problem, (which
makes me feel bad).  On close examination her rectum is a little bit
"sticky-out' but not a lot.  She is probably somewhere between 9 and 12
months old and I know I've read this is a problem encountered in early
weaned babies, but could this be the same thing?  Is it diet related?  It
would appear she has been fed some low protein cat chow (that's what she
came in with).  But there's not much history as she was being 'baby sat' by
someone and the owner didn't come back to get her.  She is very thin and her
coat is thin and is matted with lumps of grease or tar in it - poor thing!!
(but she looks much better after a bath today!)

If she needs surgery they will say they can't afford it and put her to
sleep, so I'm hoping there is another option.  The vets here are not really
ferret knowledgable apart from neutering and there is a lot of demand for
those darn cages by cats at the moment!  We have said we will foster her if
needs be.

Despite all this and being scared half to death, she is a spunky little
thing and ever so pretty and deserves another chance.  If anyone out there
who can help, please Email me direct as soon as possible - I'd be really
grateful.

Sorry to take so long but two other things briefly!

There has been loads of information about legal vaccines for rabies and
distemper in the States, can anyone tell me what the situation is in Ontario
Canada please.

Kelly, sorry about the mix up with my email, I will reply direct to you this
week, but Megan hasn't contacted me again and all my ferret for adoption
info is out of date, so don't give up hope!

Thanks one and all