From:
Laura Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 09:38:12 -0500
Hi Everyone,
I'm going to delurk here and share my similar problem.  I live in a
condominium.  My ferrets, Molly and Sasha are kept in my bedroom in their
cage at night.  My bedroom window faces a common grassy area with a path
going around it and way too much lighting that stays on all night long.
They must have changed some bulbs recently because the night before last I
woke up at 4 am thinking it was morning.  When I looked outside the lights
along the path were so bright it might as well have been 8am.  This added
light has been bothering me since we moved here, four years ago.  And now
that my Molly is 4 1/2 years old now, I am more concerned about future
health problems.  My sweet, dear Pepper who passed away in August from a
heart condition, had a large adrenal tumor.  He was six years old.

I had bought some inexpensive mini-blinds that were supposed to block
light.  They didn't work well at all.  So I decided it was time to look
into something more substantial.  I went to Penny's yesterday and bought
two 'room darkening' roller shades for my divided window.  They definitely
block out the light!  Even with the bright sun light we have this morning,
with the sun coming directly through the window, the shades don't let any
light through.  The sales person told me to get the shades cut so they
would overlap the window frame by 1 1/2 inches on each side.  The problem
with that is the shades don't lay flat on the wood frame.  So I have light
coming in around the edges.  I actually taped the edges of the shades to
the window frame last night.  But still, I think I can work this out so I
can block all the light coming from the window (without taping them every
night :-] ) Once I get the light from the window taken care of, I can make
my room very dark.

If anyone has the same problem I have, the shades might be a good solution.
And I was thinking there might be a way to use them to block off a corner
of a room for the ferts.  Say, mounting them on a wooden frame, or shelf
above the ferts cage.  Just a thought.

Laura (Ma)
Molly ("What ever you're eating, I WANT IT!!!"
Sasha ("No time to eat, ma, I gotta Play!")
(We all miss you Pep!)
 --
Laura Kline, LPN
My Web Address.....http://www.frontiernet.net/~lstk8888