From:
Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 07:46:43 -0700
One question, one comment--

Question: Can anyone tell me how much it costs to give a ferret a Lupron
shot?  My vet of course is looking into it, it may take her a couple days
to get me this information.  Just for comparative information.

Comment: Recently it appears that my two oldest ferrets, Zooey (5 1/2) and
Linus (4 1/2) are showing signs of developing sick ferret diseases.  The
vet thinks Zooey is developing insolinoma, and Linus is showing strong
signs of adrenal disease.  Including a ferret I had that got sick and died
a couple years ago, every ferret (only 3, granted) I've had that have
gotten older got sick and died (as opposed to just getting older and dying
of old age).  They haven't been *that* old either (3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2).
do other people have this experience too?  I have another ferret that is
barely over 3 years old--makes me nervous, thinking what might happen to
him.

I know this has come up on occasion, but Zooey & Linus are both Marshall
Farms ferrets.  One vet I talked to years ago thought Linus would have
problems ("middle-aged men problems") when he gets older b/c MF neuters
their ferrets so darn early.  Just a theory, I'm sure.  But nonetheless,
it turned out to be true (but only for him)...

Minta
(& Linus, Zooey, Sybil & Martin)