From:
suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:41:45 -0700
Hello to Laura, Niho and Ipo,

I have had a similar experience with my ferrets and a dreaded squeaky toy.
This happened when I had brought my first two ferrets home.  Being very
inexperienced with ferrets and wanting to "play" with them, I squeaked the
hell out of the toy in one of my ferret's face.  Needless to say Chongie
attached herself to my leg and it took quite awhile to remove her.
Leaving a really good puncture complete with colorful bruise.  She was
pretty upset too, shivering and hissing.  Now the other 4 ferrets do not
seem to mind the squeaks, though Cheechie likes to try and confiscate it
and stash it away with her other valuables.  I don't use it for play, but
I still use the squeaky toy to call all my ferrets.  They come pretty
quick to the sound, along with treats for reinforcement.  But I only need
to squeak it once or twice and never directly in my Chongies face.

Now Chong has had a problem with nipping at first, but is doing really
well now.

I guess all ferrets react differently to squeaky toys, but we only use it
for calling them.  Chong seems able to tolerate it if she isn't right up
close to it and I use it only for locating them.  She is always the first
out when it is squeaked and the others are usually close behind.

Take care,
Suzi and Cheech, Chong, Goose,  baby Mocha and Ruby.