From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:57:27 -0400
>The only way to absolutely ferret proof an environment for a ferret is
>to keep the ferret sterile cube with nothing what so ever in it.  Sure
>it'd be safe from physical harm but the physiological damage would be
>off the chart.

Oh, it's doable.  Really.  That is a truth most on the FML know, but it
takes some time.  Granted, it will never be perfect, but it can always
be done better and the results are wonderful and joyous.  That is what
learning from the experiences of others and then moving on from
incorporating those bit s of learning is all about.

It's not that we haven't have some accidents.  I have very bad foot
proprioception (knowing where my feet actually are -- I can't feel
them right in that regard though they sure hurt to beat the band often
enough), and I've got the braces and larger than foot-size shoes to fit
the braces on each side (and larger yet sleeping braces).  So, now or
them a ferret may get foolish and go flying, but I move as carefully as
I can and we make judicious use of barriers.  Some of the ones will be
able to be opened rather than climbed over (If I hadn't improved with
braces and PT we would have had to have such barriers in sequence for
the ferrets' sake.

I know that ferret-proofing when it is all looked at in one lump seems
like a huge thing to do, so just do it bit by bit.  That is how those
of us who began with ferrets decades ago did, because over time more
was learned.  Each precaution serves it's purpose and each one helps
everyone.  Taken a step at a time, doing the ones most needed there --
by looking at causes of past accidents and past escapes and working
onward a bit at a time -- it becomes very doable, and the changes are
all for the better.

Like I said, in 23 years we have had only one serious accident and it
wasn't fatal; that is pretty well the norm for most ferret homes and it's
all because people DO share when something goes wrong (saving our ferrets
by learning from their heartache -- and we appreciate their gift of
teaching us) and then utilize the solutions.  There really ARE solutions.
Just take things a step at a time and you'll be pleased and they'll be
safe.  You really will be glad afterwards about doing it.

I DO think it is possible to change this conversation to a constructive
one of: where have you found your ferret-proofing tips and which tips
best helped you and your ferrets and let the fight completely disappear.