From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:30:52 EDT
There are so many definitions and reasons for different breeding
practices.

The only advice I can offer to the public as I received several emails
asking what I recommend and my answer is this.....you as the public as
large looking to purchase a kit have to make this decision yourself.  You
have several breeders input and their likes and dislikes but I think that
we all have decided that inbreeding is at least not a preferred method of
breeding.  But having knowledge of your preference is always best before
purchasing any animal.

It is always good to be aware of the genelogy and background of the
ferret you are looking to purchase.  Most breeders are aware if any
health problems have arrisen and if there is acomformity or anomaly
within those lines.  Sometimes environment can affect the animal's
longevity and also as Vickie stated and I agree with, if you are looking
to change foods, do your research and be aware of the impact of changing
foods as it applies to your ferrets.

I have had a breeder live to over 16 (he passed away March 1st 2004 and
i got him when he was already almost three in 1990).  It was my first
breeder and from this sire, I have several kits living to over 10 years
of age.  It is rarity to find a line that has such a longevity and even
more rare that a ferret actually died of old age and not of other things
associated with age.  His heart finally gave up after 16 years.  He would
have been 17 if he had lived to his birthday which was my birthday (one
week shy).

This ferret was not line breed or inbreed but even then, it does not
mean that all will live to this age.  As some would say that he himself
was rare.  At the age of 12 he lost sight in one eye.  At the age of 14
hearing in the opposite side of his blind eye.

It is recommended that you contact the breeder and ask for a background,
any history of the ferret's breeding stock, pedigree's, etc.

Most breeders even keep a log of any anomalies arrising out of a line
that have been reported.  Also it's always nice to have those who have
purchase let the breeder know if any problems arrise and what age they
have passed on at so that a review of the line can be completed by the
breeder.

Everyone has their own method and sometimes even inputting previous
species breeding knowledge into the ferret breeding.  There is nothing
wrong with that.