From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 22:26:46 -0800
>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Jazmyn Concolor
>But fighting for the welfare of *all* ferrets is not extreme, especially
>concerning the breeding practices of some mills in the US.

Again the use of the term "mill".  Marshall Farms is nothing like the
notorious "puppy-mills".  The puppy mills are run on the cheap and pump out
"pedigreed" puppies that usually are ill-conformed based on accepted
standards.  Little (or rather often no) veterinary care is provided.  No
research is done on the dogs.  They are basically small and comparable to
what is called "backyard breeders" in the ferret community.

Marshall Farms on the other hand a well run business that by most accounts
has over the past several years put in quite a bit of money to improve the
housing and diet of their charges.  Marshall Ferrets are quite often
triumphant at ferret shows - though always in the altered class as that is
the way they leave the facility.  One of the worlds most noted veterinarians
that works on ferrets is a former employee and a good bit of her training
and education came from Marshall Farms - her stated reasons for leaving are
caring for her mother and abuse from outside of Marshall.  Marshall Farms is
at the forefront of reasearch into ferrets directly and indirectly (check
any references on any ferret studies or books - notably Dr Foxes seminal
book).  They are hardly small.

Now if you do not like the idea of ferret ranches thats fine.  We are not
total supporters of ranch style ferret breeding despite some of the
benefits.  Marsall Farms seems the exception in that they alone of the
ranches are this important in the reasearch "for" ferrets.  If others are
involved their involvement is not known.  We would not be surprised at a
positive involvement of Path Valley as they while belonging to the Morton's
were quite involved in positive publicity.  They have also been accessible
to the "calmer" voices in the ferret community.

>Dr. Judith Bell, past employee of Marshall, who reportedly left Marshall
>for "ethical reasons" is a bit more difficult to reach.

That is an insinuation.  Her stated reasons are caring for her mother and
stress from comments such as these while she was still at Marshall Farms.

>However, she has spoken at AFA gatherings.

Do you mean rather a veterinary conference sponsored by the AFA that was
attended by and with lectures by most of the best veterinarians that treat a
lot of ferrets?  She has not to our knowledge spoken at an AFA show or AFA
board meeting.

>- ASK them, not Bill, not me.

Which was our point too, if she really wants a response from them.  Though
several of these are somewhat well known and not hidden information.  If
the insinuations against them were NOT so ugly they would respond we think.
They aren't as dumb as we are.

>- Ask what their procedures are for neutering/spaying and descenting and
>  who performs these.

Technicians using surgical procedures.  Neutering operations in agricultural
situations are usually done by non-veterinarians.  In most animals males are
gelded but females need no spaying.  Rubber bands and pocket knives for
sheep, cattle, goats, etc.  Marshall's published approaches seem quite
humane compared to those.

>- Ask how many ferrets they sell to research.

On leaked tax forms they state up to 10% of their kits.  Retired breeders
are also donated to vet schools and other worthwhile studies.

>- Ask what vaccines are being used before shipment.

This one is pretty general knowledge.  They use "Distamink" which is for all
intents and purposes the same as "Fervac-D".  We would much prefer that they
used the ferret labelled variant.  United did produce larger bottle versions
of Fervac intending that it would be used by ranches and breeders.  It was
discontinued when it was not ordered in quantities large enough to justify
its production.

>Subject: The Marshall Campaign Rationale

So lets hear the rational from our point of view.

>While Marshall needs the retailers to conduct business as usual, the
>retailers do *not* need Marshall to remain or become successful.  Besides
>other sources being available--which many retailers are not aware of

Here is why we do not tolerate the lies in the assault on Marshall Farms.
If you check out the alternative sources most are WORSE.  Path Valley does
seem to be a very good ranch - as far as ranches go - but most ranches are
not up to Marshall and Path Valley standards.  Go visit them and you will
probably agree.

>No legal pressure can be brought about against individuals who decide to
>question and voice their concerns about the way a company does business.

Its pretty obvious that you are not a lawyer.  This statement is a legal
mistake.  Check with a real attourney on defamation.

Now here is the important part as we see it.  It is easy to say "you are for
the ferrets" but you have to figure out what is best for all of the ferrets
in the long run.  Ferrets can continue their move into the mainstream or
they can slip back into a role as an exotic pet.  To be the mainstream pet
that most of us want it to be then they have to be available.

The sad truth of it is though that there are not enough hobby/private
breeders to supply the demand of ferret.  With the hounding of both ranches
and these small breeders the radical part of the ferret community is apt to
hurt the ferret community.  When there are alternatives to pet store sales
from ranches we will be glad to see the diminishment of the role of ranches.
We as a community can not both demand equal treatment of ferrets, cats, and
dogs while at the same time force ferrets back to a elite pet that is
unobtainable by the majority of people.

bill killian