From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:54:46 -0400
Rascal wandered to the bridge at about 1:30 pm last Saturday 8/3.  A
chunk of my heart goes with him.

Rascal had advanced heart disease.  His preliminary ex-ray showed his
heart to be 40% larger than normal.  We started on Diuretics, two weeks
later went back for a second ex-ray.  I was all set for somewhat good
news, his breathing was sounding better...however that was not to be.
The vet explained that he was 10 times worse and his life would be very
short.  I made the best choice I could for him and let him go to the
bridge that day.

Rascal was my second ferret, he was a challenge from the start.  My
husband did not want a second ferret.  Every day at lunch I would go to
the mall, get a sandwich and sit across from the store window and watch
him and his littermates play.  One week later, I brought my husband by
to show him how cute he was...the answer was still no.  One day after
lunch I called him from work and jokingly told him that I bought Rascal
(yes he was already named by me).  He didn't believe me, and said if you
feel that strongly go get him...I didn't believe him so I left work
immediately and bought him.  I almost expected my husband to be waiting
out side the store to tell him he was only kidding.  Rascal came from a
horrible pet store where the ferrets were locked in a tiny dog kennel no
hammock, bedding or even a litterbox.  They were also locked in a glass
room.  I found out why when the store clerk went to get Rascal...and one
of his littermates bit her through the cage grill and wouldn't let go..
I had to pry the ferret off.  I should have known then!  They put him in
a box, I got him in the car and could hear him hissing and growling from
the box.  He was only about six weeks old.  He was a beautiful silver
mitt, with a white lightening bolt on the back of his neck.

He remained a vicious biter for about two years.  When anyone would try
to pet him, he would just latch on and not let go.  He would scream and
lung at people.  Guests were afraid to come to my house, we all had scars
on our toes.  It took two years, then due to an illness and months of
intensive care and assist feeding, he decided that people were not so
bad.  He became a big, fuzzy, cuddlebug who gave great kisses.

I always suspected I'd lose him early (he as 5 1/2).  There was always
something going on with him, age six months had to remove a huge growth
from his foot, age 1-sliced open his stomach somehow (under the
refrigerator I suspect), age 2-unknown illness that almost took his life
and required 3 months of force feeding and hospitalization (suspected
heart issues at that time); age 3-chronic ear infections that continued
on throughout his life, age 4, growth removed from over his left eye and
bilateral adrenal surgery, age 5, - low blood sugar; age 5 1/2- heart
disease.

He does have one friend waiting for him at the bridge, Buster.  Buster
left two years ago at 3 1/2.

Sandee tell Rascal that there is clearly something missing in my house.
Tell him that it seems strange to be able to wear socks in the house.
I've seen him in my dreams.  I'll miss his fluffed tail during back
scratches and the reciprocating nose kisses after a good back
scratch...there will never be another Rascal.  I'm glad you're at
peace and can breath I miss you my Fattie McRattie!