From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 23:11:54 -0500
As promised, here's an update on Templeton's reaction to last night's
distemper shot.  He's ok!  He stabilized about ten minutes after I left the
vet's office.  Vet checked on him periodically through the night to make
sure he was ok.  Templeton even ate a little during the night.  When I
called the vet's office (as soon as they opened at 9 this morning!), they
said he was bouncing around in his cage wanting to get out, and he could
come home!

When I picked him up, the vet was on the phone, so I didn't get to talk to
him.  Someone invited me back to the "cage room" and it was so great to see
Templeton, lively and active, wanting to get out of his cage!  What a
difference from last night.  Out in the waiting room, I asked the lady how
much the bill was.  She checked, and she said there was no charge!  Wow!  I
asked her what it was the vet gave him last night, and she said he gave
Templeton a shot of penicillin and Doxi-something or other, what he
administers whenever there's a shot reaction.  (During this time, I'm
holding Templeton in my arm offering him some Linatone, which he is happily
licking from a bottle!  :) )

Took Templeton home and put him with his buddies.  When I left, he was
drinking some water.  I just need to watch him for the next couple of
days, but the worst is over!  I'm really nervous now about him getting a
distemper shot next year.  Would pre-medicating help?  Anyway, I'm so glad
to have him home again, his ol' self.

Question for everyone: does it sound like the vet did the right things?  I
lost our first ferret from a blockage which went undiagnosed by this same
vet, so I wasn't convinced he'd be able to help a ferret that was having a
severe reaction to a shot.

Debbie, Becky, and the fab foursome: Brae, Templeton, Sally and Phoebe
Remembering Jamie - with us such a short time, but special because she =
was our first