From:
Sal Arledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 14:04:27 -0400
Someone, sorry don't remember who, wrote asking about getting a ferret.
She ( he) said they had concerns.  I would like to respond to two....
Something was mentioned about being in school all day & a dog, poodle I
believe.

We, too, are away all day.  I leave my house at 7:00 and return around 5:30
daily.  My Baxter is just fine.  I open his cage door as soon as I get
home.  He comes out and has the run of the place until bedtime.  At that
time, I either put him back or he goes back himself.  This tells me that he
is not too upset about being caged, or he would never go there voluntarily.
Also, when I do put him in, he ALWAYS gets a treat.  This way he is NEVER
reluctant to go in.  He thinks of his cage as a good place!

As far as dogs, I have (2) small dogs & (4) cats.  I introduced them, and
was always present for the 1st week.  They got used to each other real
quick.  The cats & dogs have all been put in their place by Baxter.  If
they are too rough, he lets them know.  He bites the backs of their legs,
nips their necks, etc.  I scold them if I think they are too rough, but not
often.  They all play together.  Baxter is usually the instigator in rough
play.  He wears the rest of them out & gets mad when they won't play.  He
has a way about him, they just run & hide from him when they've had
enough!!

They will also snuggle together...not ALL together, but different ones at
different times.

Good Luck....

Sal

sal _ a @ computerrescuesquad.com