From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:05:12 -0400
I recently replied off-List to an FML post from Heidi who wanted info on
RESCUE REMEDY for her ferrets' upcoming airplane trip.  Heidi was king
enough to respond that she found the information provided to be very
helpful.  So here's a slightly revised version for those interested in
the use of flower essences (esp. RESCUE REMEDY).

I've been using many different types/brands of flower essences for my
personal/Shelter animals (ranging from dogs/cats/ferrets to alpacas to
various exotics and wildlife--for about 10 years now.  Sometimes the
essences provide a subtle response; and other times dramatic results.

Here's just a basic course in "Flower Essences 101": All the various flower
essences are considered "vibrational" and/or "energy" remedies.  Somehow
the energetic qualities of the different flowers help to harmonize people
and animals towards emotional and physical balance.

RESCUE REMEDY--probably the most well-known--is a combination of five of
the original 38 essences developed by Dr. Edward Bach (M.D.) in the 1920's.
This is an excellent all-around choice to have on hand.  It is used to
support one through any challenge and to restore a sense of safety peace
and calm.  RESCUE REMEDY is made up of:
- CHERRY PLUM - to help retain control
- CLEMATIS - for "grounding" or focus; restoration of consciousness
- IMPATIENS - to relieve pain and anxiety
- ROCK ROSE - to relieve panic and fear
- STAR OF BETHLEHAM - to comfort and release trauma

The remedies are NOT medications and do not have to be swallowed.  They
simply need to make contact with the mucous membranes or enter into the
animal's energy field to be effective.  Two to four drops is the amount
needed by either a canary or a horse as Bach Flowers are not medicines.
(The Bach line of essences is sold at most health food stores.)

There are many ways to administer flower remedies:
First and foremost SHAKE THE BOTTLE firmly against the heel of your hand
TEN TIMES **EACH** TIME BEFORE ADMINISTERING.  This energizes the mixture.
From the bottle you can:

(A) Give two to four drops directly into the animal's mouth.  Be careful
not to let them lick the dropper.  If they do rinse the dropper under HOT
tap water for a few minutes before replacing it in the bottle.  (Since many
flower essences are preserved in quite a bit of brandy--ferrets usually
DON'T like this direct approach. :-(  But most larger animals (and humans)
don't seem to mind the taste.  The brandy can also be "boiled" off...and
some essences can be specially ordered in non-alcoholic suspensions.)

(B) Add two to four drops to water bottle.  (Best method for ferrets! :-)

(C) Add four drops to filtered water in a small spray bottle and spray the
    room; bedding; crate; car; etc.
(D) Place a few drops on your own hands and pet your animal's head and ears.

(E) Do some or all of the above.

There is no guarantee that flower remedies will *completely* fix a problem;
but you can be certain that your animal will feel better mentally and
emotionally with the help of flower remedies.

Some other flower essences I utilize here at my Shelter are from
ANAFLORA... which has special "blends" specifically created for animals
such a Pre- and Post-Surgery; Harmony; Bereavement; Relocation; etc.  You
might want to check out Sharon Callahan's website--just to learn a little
more about another effective line of Flower Essences:
http://www.anaflora.com

There are many excellent books currently available on the use of flower
remedies--specifically in regard to animals (and many more books on their
use for humans).  Two of my favorites are:

"BACH FLOWER REMEDIES FOR ANIMALS" by Stefan Ball and Judy Howard published
by the CW DANIEL COMPANY LTD./Essex England/UK (ISBN 1-899171-72-X)

"BACH FLOWER REMEDIES FOR ANIMALS" by Helen Graham and Gregory Vlams
published by Findhorn Press/Scotland/UK (ISBN 0-85207-296-1)

(And YES! both books have the exact same titles....go figure! :-)

A just released book "THE HOLISTIC ANIMAL HANDBOOK" has been co-written by
my friend Kate Solisti-Mattelon--which includes a detailed section on the
use of each of the Bach remedies for our animal friends.  (Here's a
"shameless plug" for me/my Shelter: Page 53 even mentions my use of flower
essences for FERRETS and other animals to aid in recovery; support dying
animals; and as a valuable tool in rehabilitating "fear biters".  Her
website (which also links to the publisher) is:
http://home.earthlink.net/~solmat

You can also visit the excellent website of Jean Hofve DVM a licensed
veterinarian who specializes in flower essence therapy for pets:
http://www.spiritessence.com

For The Ferrets

Barbara Ludt/DIrector
"The Woodland Retreat"
(NE FL Branch of the former South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue Inc.)