From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:14:22 -0400
Magda
At 7 months old, Kacper has far more important things (like playing and
exploring) to do than come when you call.  It can take a while for a ferret
to learn his own name, especially a young one.  To train him to come, call
his name while he is near you, and then offer him a small treat, like a
quarter of a raisin or a couple licks of ferretone.  Do that 3 or 4 times,
and repeat the training a couple times a day for several days.  Before you
know it he'll come racing when you call, but still only if there isn't
something more interesting to do!

Young ferrets have just too much energy to show much affection for any one
person.  My youngest Cookie didn't really start responding to her name til
she was a year old, and at 1 1/2, she has finally started asking for human
attention.  She'll stand by my feet and if I don't notice her, she'll put
her paw on my foot or even give it a little nip.  She'll then let me pick
her up and even cuddle her for 30 seconds before it's time to get down and
play some more!

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting