From:
Kalaine Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 05:47:59 PDT
Hello everyone,
This was a very long weekend.  My husband and I took Jezzy and Taz to get
their rabies shots.  We live in NJ.  Well, when we got to the vets office
they had moved, but forgot to tell us.  We found the new office, but when
we got there they told us in the move they had lost the rabies shots.
Would we mind getting the distemper instead?

I felt like saying no.  I was prepared for the rabies, and not the
distemper.  I didn't get a chance to premedicate the girls.  I told the
vet about the problems that have been happening w/ the distemper shots.
She told me the other vet informed her becasue I had sent in information.
She said they had everything standing by just in case.  She said we should
wait at least 20 minutes.  We waited almost 50 minutes.  No reactions.  We
got in the car and got home (it is a 20 min drive) No problems.

I had just finised packing to go to NY.  I had found Taz under the bed in
silent protest to the trip.  I put her in the travel cage, and was getting
her comfortable, when my husband started screaming for me to come into the
bedroom.  He was calling me and Jezzy.  I told him she wouldn't come out if
he called her like that.  I thought she was ripping the carpet.  He only
calls her like that when she starts digging.

When I got in the room she was dry heaving.  I got her from under the bed,
and ran to the sink and got the benedryl.  I was medicating her and calling
the vet at the same time.  My husband was in a kind of shock I guess.  The
vet told us to come back immediately.

I had Taz and Jezzy on my lap, and Taz kept trying to clean Jezzy.  Taz
usually wants nothing to do w/ Jezzy, but I guess she could see she was
sick.  Jezzy didn't move.  I kept rubbing her belly to try to get small

We got to the vet and they gave her cortizone shots, and fluids under the
skin.  We waited there about 30 minutes and they gave her to us and said
to give her more benedryl in 4 hrs and she would be fine.

I wanted to leave her there, but they said she was fine now.  They said
they didn't suggest giving her the distemper shot anymore.  My husband was
about to say something smart, but I gave him a look.  He wispered duh under
his breath.

When we got home we let Taz run around, and I tried to put Jezzy to bed,
but she latched on to my arm, so I climbed into my bed and held her.  My
husband got into bed too, and he and Jezzy slept while I just held her.
There was no way I could sleep.  About 2 hrs later Jezzy woke up and
started licking me.  I felt so bad like I had did this to her, and she was
trying to tell me it was okay.

Well, it has been two days, and she is fine.  I just worry about next year
when she can't get the shot.  I hope she doesn't get distemper.  It is like
a catch 22.  We are really damned if we do, but have to hope she doesn't
get distemper.

Sorry for such a long winded post.  I hope all the mommies had a great
Mother's day.

Kalaine, Taz-arina, and Jezzy-belle