Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:02:56 -0400
Wonderful Bridge Greeters please watch for my sweet little Rikki, he
was helped to the Bridge to ring the bell and get his Wings on Wed.,
3/14. I'm sure FiFi, BeBe, maybe Sadie, and certainly Buster will be
looking for him..

Heaven's newest Angel was helped to the Rainbow Bridge and got his
Wings on Wed, 3/14 after kidney failure became untreatable... He came
into my life in 1999, about 1 yr old at that time, from a young man who
couldn't have pets in his new apt. Sold to the young man by the pet
store as a female, and given to me as Missy, it soon became apparent
that was not the case, and my little boy was quickly renamed!

Rikki was my first ferret, and one of the sweetest, most loving little
guys God ever put on this Earth. He loved giving kisses, never bit or
nipped anyone, like Cheerios, played "You chase me, I chase you", loved
splashing in his water bowl, scrambling into the bathtub when I took a
shower to play in the "rain", and "Hide and Go Seek" under a towel or
blanket or in his big PVC tunnels....

Over his long life of almost 9 yrs, I had gotten other ferrets as
companions for him, but he never really bonded with them, preferring
mostly to be by himself or with me when I sat and played with him. We
dealt with the usual ferret problems - adrenal surgery, hair loss, the
customary temporary aggressive behavior cause by the hormone changes,
and the everyday meds. Also one terrible blockage due to enlarged
prostate. But Rikki got through all of it, with many, many thanks to
the doctors at Pet Care Veterinary Hosp in Va. Beach, VA

Time and age finally caught up with my baby, and Our Father decided it
was best for His little boy to come Home, and I give true thanks to Him
for allowing me to have temporary care of Rikki for these too swift
years. Rikki gave me such joy, such a loving little heart , war-dancing
with excitement, plowing through the rice in his rice box, burrowing
into the clothes I took off and left on the floor when taking a shower,
snagging a cheerio or piece of a ferret chew, and running off to a
hidey hole to eat it or stash it, and coming back for more, running
through the grass in the sunshine and rumaging through the plants in
the garden........... So many memories - Dear God, please don't let me
forget any of them!! My heart is crushed, and I have cried for 4 days
now, and planted beautiful dark purple pansies and white bleeding
hearts on his grave, and it still hurts so bad....

Dear sweet Rikki,

Please know that Mommy loves you, and that I didn't want for you to
leave, but I knew you were hurting, and the look in your eyes told me
you were Ready. It was all I could do to tell the Dr. it was Time... I
know you are in Heaven now, no more pain, and running free and playing
joyously - please look for Sadie, and Fifi, and BeBe, and Buster - they
will be waiting for you! I miss you terribly little guy, you made Mommy
so very happy all these years....but wait for me, wait for me, we'll be
together some day!!

Dooks to you my little Rikki, enjoy the sunshine
and the soft air!!

Love and many, many kisses blown to you, Mommy
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close - we two -
these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears

author unknown

I Loved You Best
So this is where we part, My Friend,
And you'll run on, around the bend,
Gone from sight, but not from mind,
New pleasures there you'll surely find.
I will go on, I'll find the strength,
Life measures quality, not its length.
One long embrace before you leave,
Share one last look, before I grieve.
There are others, that much is true,
But they be they, and they aren't you.
And I, fair, impartial, or so I thought,
Will remember well all you've taught.
Your place I'll hold, you will be missed,
The fur I stroked, the nose I kissed.
And as you journey to your final rest,
Take with you this...I loved you best.

Copyright (c) Jim Willis 2002, All rights reserved