From:
Chance Guyette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:49:29 -0500
Hello Everyone,
Yesterday at the airport I picked up my first pair of ferrets, Two male
sables, 6 weeks old, when I got home with them they did pretty much what I
expected: pooped, slept, bit and wrestled.  No surprises.  That same evening
my SO had one on her lap, it did what babies do, playing, looking around,
checking out the cats, a couple of times it looked over the edge of the
couch and it seemed to realize that it could fall and hurt itself, great,
smart ferret.

I've had nearly 30 years experience with cats, I think I can handle a couple
of ferrets.

No-name now walked up my SO's chest checked out her ears, played with her
hair, walked to the edge of the pillow that was behind her head, and with no
warning, leaped into the air.  We think it was aiming for the adjacent
bookshelf.  It never made it.  It plummeted three feet and out of sight to
the floor.  At that point the most heartrending scream I have ever heard in
my life arose, the cats ran, my SO cried, and I, hero that I am, ran to it,
it was flat on the floor with all four paws stuck out, screaming and
screaming.  If I had impaled it and set it on fire at the same time it could
not have made more noise.  It was totally unnerving.  I gently picked it up,
saw no bones sticking out, looked it over, put it back on the floor, it just
laid there.  I put some Ferrotone on my finger, it walked eagerly to me, oh
yum-yum Ferrotone, good stuff, got more?  raisins?  I picked it up, sat on
the couch and the little fishstick went right to sleep, evidently scaring
people must be hard work.  It was fine in the morning.

That was my first day.

Be well,                     Chance Guyette