From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 15:38:28 -0400
Ah, you are curious about zoonotic diseases.

Here are some resources for you:

http://research.ucsb.edu/connect/acc/policy.html#Reservoir
By animal type and you can also search by disease.  But the mentions are
by mammal ORDER so you then have to find out which ones may be seen in
things like cats, dogs, bears, etc.  instead of ferrets.  For example for
Carnivora it lists 5 things and you will notice for the last that rodents
can transmit this, but then you need to find out if ferrets can get it.
I don't have my texts handy so can't look that up right now that way, but
you can always google on that disease name and ferret.  Okay, I'm back
later and that disease is not among the ones in _Biology and Diseases of
the Ferret_, so you would not have found anything in a Google search most
likely and that would have told you a great deal.

Except for emerging diseases to some extent there is very good knowledge
of what diseases ferrets do and don't get, largely because of them also
being used in research.  For instance, that is how it is known that they
get Influenza A and sinus infections but don't get true colds (which are
from rhinoviruses) so pharmaceuticals don't have the option of using them
for that research (BTW, since sinus infections and the other respiratory
things ferrets get can become more serious than colds it is important to
not use the word "cold" as a catch-all because you might miss treating
something in a timely fashion).

http://medicine.bu.edu/dshapiro/zoo1.htm
This one you can search by animal and look for overlaps but the mustelid
section is incomplete (focusing only on two serious diseases) compared
to resources like _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_ and I suspect
the new _Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents_ though I have not yet read the
Zoonoses section in that text.

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/pbs/zoonoses/

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/zoonotic/

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/zoonos.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/zoonose.html

http://www.vspn.org/LIBRARY/WWWDirectory/Mammals_Small_Exotic.htm

Here is a diseases of research animals site which has a specific mouse
section and a specific ferret sectionso using it interactively with the
sites above to get more disease details may be useful as long as you
remember that it is not thorough and it is not limited to zoonoses so
be sure to pull up the zoonoses write-ups specifically:
http://www.vin.com/WebLink.plx?URL=http://www.radil.missouri.edu/
RADILinfo/dora/Dora.htm

http://www.afip.org/vetpath/POLA/99/Pathology_of_the_Ferret-Williams.htm
(from 1999)
with this reference:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?
cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2676931&dopt=Citation

http://www.ferret.org/pdfs/newsletter/95zoonotic.pdf
(pdf from 1998)

http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/pubs/oldbib/ferretla.htm

Anyway, that's actually enough of a set of leads and bibliographic info
for someone to easily do a bit of a small college level paper on the
topic if desired!  LOL!  It should be more than enough to reassure you.

If you need or want more:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0305&L=ferret-search
&P=R2102
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0401&L=ferret search
&P=R6804
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0306&L=ferret-search
&P=R12012
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0002&L=ferret-search
&P=R40523

and search separately under zoonoses, zoonotic, and zoonosis in
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org

If I recall right mice don't get rabies (but I have not checked) but
ferret info on that is available at these 2:
http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/rabcont.asp
(The Compendium of Animal Rabies Control)
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Ques&Ans/q&a.htm
(Easy to read rabies Q&A)