From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:21:04 -0800
>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: reinventing the wheel
>>AFA wants all shelters known<<
>Like STAR* doesn't?

Why the antagonistic approach?  The STAR list is a useful service.  But
unfortunately it is not perfect.  The list at least the version currently
online is tuned to your personal preferences.  For example the AFA is only a
ferret contact.  We are not listed as both a breeder and a shelter.  Its
your list.  Do with it what you will.  But it is yours.

We were just trying to help out some friends, especially Fran Wiles.  It has
nothing to do with whether we like and appreciate your efforts or not.  We
do.  Thank you for sharing your address list.

>YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE A SUBSCRIBER TO STAR* TO BE ON THIS LIST.  JUST
>KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT FERRETS.

This is where you tell us that you personally decide who is and who is not
to be listed.  We know folks you have removed from the list or chosen not to
list based solely on your preferences.  Again its your list.  Do with it
what you want to.

Please feel free to continue to work on your list.  It is a great resource.

But please allow LIFE to continue their list of Ark Angels and the AFA to
continue their list of shelters.

Its not a competition.  Its not re-inventing the wheel.  The AFA list is not
derived from your list.  Its a different list.  We've personally found
shelters not on the AFA list and submitted them to Fran for inclusion.  We
have no idea if they are on your list.  Never looked.

>From:    "Monkey, Kona, Two, and Mitz Schlossberg" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Vasectomized hobs (reply)
>So is this just a tube tie?  In order to "dud stud" females?  (heard that
>term from Bill thought it was funny).  :)

Yup.

>And other ferrets are castrated?

Yup again.

>Do I have this right?  If so do they vasectomize only older hobs vs the of
>castrating young kits?

Well "they" is us breeders mostly.  Our preference is to vasectomize hobs
that have no reason to remain whole but wouldn't be the easiest or best to
place as pets.

What this means is we've vasectomized nice hobs that happened to have
cataracts and thus blind for example.  They actully "win" in hormonal guy
thinking.  They get far more time with more girls than the whole breeders.

Other breeders make other choices.  You usually wouldn't want to
vasectomize too old of a ferret because he needs to "perform" quite a bit.

>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: if there really is CA DNR reading FML
>if you really are reading this, know that as much as I love the beautiful
>city of San Diego and as nice as the people of Qualcomm are, me, my husband,
>my six ferrets and four cats, and my TAX DOLLARS, will never move there.

<bill speaking here>

For what its worth I've declined seeking employment with Qualcomm for the
same reasons.  Several of my non-ferret owning friends went though.

But not the best programmer of the bunch... <grin>

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]