From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 10:35:58 -0500
        I read with interest the first part of Ann Davis' report on the problems
associated with Fervac-D.  I was quite alarmed bny the following passage that I
found therein:

        "Dr. Lisa Chambreau, DVM, writes in a study recently prepared for
Baltimore Ferret Friends that vaccinating ferrets for distemper,
if continued beyond the stage of kit injections, causes a
"predisposition to other problems of overall ill health for all of them,
e.g. tumors, diabetes, skin problems, appetite problems, Cushing's
disease, etc."  Especially important, she added, "is the effect of
vaccinating on making the animal susceptible to opportunistic
infections like the green diarrhea."

        Following reading this,  I took the opportunity to speak with Dr.
Chambreau concerning these remarks.  Dr. Chambreau is a homeopathic
veterinarian, a distinction that I reel need sto be made clear.  Practitioners
of homeopathic medicine use herbs and natural remedies to treat animals.

        While I believe there is a lot to be said for living a clean life,
eating the right type of food, etc. I cannot agree with Dr. Chambreau's remarks
and find them a bit on the irresponsible side.  There is no scientific evidence
to support her assertion that vaccination leads to neoplasms, Cushing's disease,
skin problems, etc.  Her statement is based on anecdotal information, which is
extracted from dogs and cats, not ferrets.

        I am seeing a definite rise in the cases of distemper at the AFIP.  This
is a killer disease with no treatment.  If an unvaccinated ferret contracts it,
it will die, period.  And they do.  Immunity is not long lasting - this is why
we give boosters on an annual basis.  I boost my animals every year.  I cannot
encourage this enough.

        If there is hard evidence on distemper vaccinations predisposing animals
to other disease, I would like to see it.  But it's not out there yet, and until
it is, I will continue to vaccinate my ferrets once a year.

Bruce Williams, DVM