Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:14:13 EST
        Troy Lynn -

        First I want to thanks you for the wonderful picture and the ferret
treats.  While the ferrets haven't tried the treats, yet, I have placed the
picture on my desk in full view of everyone that walks it.  It is a wonderful
attention gettter, and allows me to talk to a lot of visitors to the office
about ferrets.  I admit to a little white lie - I'm calling it a black-eyed
white instead of a weasel - but the people who I'm talking to wouldn't know the
difference, and cute is cute.  If they think it's a ferret, all the better for
ferrets.....

        Concerning Bonnie - lymphosarcoma is a consideration, but I've yet to
see one in a young animal invade the spinal cord.  I think trauma is a better
possibility, or perhaps a congenital spinal problem.  A bacterial meningitis
affecting the spinal cord should also be considered - bacterial infections may
cause splenic enlargment.

        My experience with ferrets with juvenile lymphosarcoma is that it often
hits the intestine first, resulting in severe diarrhea.  A fine-needle aspirate
of the spleen would help, and wouldn't require any more anesthesia than you
would take for a blood test.

        Juvenile lymphosarcoma, if that is what we are dealing with,
unfortunately, has a poor prognosis and is rapidly progressive.  I'm sorry that
this is happening to you, especially with someone else's animal while they are
away.

Keep me posted, and if you can get a splenic aspirate - I'd like to take a
look...

Thanks again for the great gifts (I feel guilty).  BTW, I ho\ave shown "Tragedy
of Ignorance" to several people now, and no one has not been touched. It's a
wonderful articel, and I keep a copy handy on my desk at all times....

Bruce