Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:57:03 +1300
Okay, the plane has landed.

Actually, all of them have!  The ferrets are all snuggled into their bed in
Reno, after having broken a few hearts on the way.

LAX (Los Angeles airport) was awesome.  The people handling the ferrets,
the Fish and Wildlife people, and everyone in the vicinity were all
wonderful.  MC in Reno was called, not only by the airline people in New
Zealand, but also by the US Fish and Wildlife, just to make sure everything
was okay with the little guys, the paperwork was all in order, so they
wouldn't be stuck anywhere enroute.  Two friends from San Diego travelled
all the way up to Los Angeles to take care of the six brats and make sure
they'd handled the trip fine.  From what I'm told the water dishes were
used to good effect as impromptu litter pans.  The litter pan was used as a
bed, and the bedding was well, thrown out.  They got themselves about three
hours of run time in Los Angeles, after having won over several
Californians to the ferret cause, then took off to San Francisco.

SFO (San Francisco airport) wasn't quite so forthcoming.  In fact, they
were apparently downright confused.  However, the people who'd offered to
go visit them at that stopover were allowed to 'see' them, although
touching was apparently taboo.  However, even while still inside the
carrier, they still managed to win over a few hearts, and a few more people
to ferret causes in California.  San Francisco somehow managed to overbook
the flight, so the kits couldn't go on their own flight.  As a result, they
ended up being slipped onto a flight an hour and a half earlier than
previously planned, and now, they've already had time to play themselves to
exhaustion and create havoc.  MC has decided that he wants to keep them
all... Hmmm... I told him he'd better talk to the kits new owners <G>

Charlie has won over some people already, Scooter has taught people that
even with one leg shorter than the others, she can still outrun everyone,
Dakota has learned to kiss (she didn't with me!!  <sniff>), Sheila has
already fallen asleep in MC's arms, Shiloh has exhausted herself silly,
and Claudia has learned about digging in peoples hair... Didn't take them
long to settle down!

Four of them apparently leave for Salt Lake City tomorrow, so they'll
hopefully gets lots of nap time before the car ride.

Now that they're safe and sound, I can get on with work, which kinda
stopped short while they were travelling.

 Sam

To see some awesome ferret cards, drop in on
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/cards/ferretcard.htm