From:
Kathy Goodhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:30:35 EDT
Me again, different foster

Little Freeway was found in a driveway in Central Phoenix Tuesday night.
She was seriously dehydrated, and I have never seen a little one so
emaciated.  Under my vet (Vet #2 if you saw first post) we have started
sub-q fluids, 25cc 2x day, duck soup constantly and amoxy.  My vet said
that Freeway will not be out of the water for quite a while, because of her
condition.  She had never seen a ferret so emaciated either.  I have the
greatest vet in the world in this one - she is not 100% sure on any advise
to share as to how long we should be worried, or any other ferret-specific
problems that may crop up.  While she is calling around looking for answers
from other vets, she has asked me to post to you folks for additional input.
(I prefer an "I'm not sure than a holier than thou - I am always right
attitude.) A call between Vet #1 and Vet #2 on this has them both worried
about possible unknown effects.

Anyway, Freeway is just shy of 1/4 pound.  She is a walking skeleton.  She
readily eats duck soup, but no hard food.  She may be just a baby, or has
only recieved enough food for a long time to keep her alive - and could be
an adult.  Her teeth are hard to judge.  Her nose and gums are white and
have not changed.  Neither vet recommends blood work given her condition -
both believe it may kill her.  She is very active, but shaky on her legs.
While cuddling her last night she went from kitten (all sorts of cooing
while being rubbed - she makes a purring type noise - believe it or not) to
Cujo (Actually ran at me and drew blood several times - wasn't even touching
her when she went into 2 of her "episodes" so I wasn't hurting her) back to
kitten then back to Cujo sporadically without warning.  She follows me like
a dog, but she can not have the run of the place as we do not want any
undiagnosed illness to spread to our ferrets or our other 2 fosters.  She
appears to be drinking on her own - but with the sub-q fluid and Timmy's
Tonic suppliments, as well as Duck Soup, it is hard to tell how much she is
drinking voluntarily.

Has anyone else had a ferret whose physical condition due to starvation is
beneath life?  (Vet can't believe she is alive).  Does anyone know of any
problems I should be looking out for, or when I should stop worrying and let
her grow?  She is hand fed 6cc's of Duck soup every 2 hours around the
clock.  We are afraid of damaging her stomach by pushing more than 6cc's at
this point.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am near Cave Creek Arizona, is there ANYONE close to me, that has
experience in these matters that can look at her?  She does not travel
well, so I ask that if there is such a local expert that you travel to me.
I am real scared for this little girl, more so that we may kill her with
kindness.  Other than to just look at her, my vets can do nothing else.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Kathy Goodhart
Grand Canyon State Ferret Association
(602) 465-9887