From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 02:35:36 EDT
Hi,

Well, I guess my new baby, Rosie has joined the ranks of the REAL FERRET
CLUB.  She has learned to successfully negotiate ramps with just the
slightest amount of sliding (sometimes this is backtracking), use the
litter box with wonderful regularity, irritate the grown-up ferrets just
enough to be noticed or to make one of them leave the sleeping spot she
wants, and best of all (cutest of all too): She has begun stealing socks.
Yes, the baby (roughly 6 weeks old) is stealing my daughter's socks.  A
4-yr-old's socks are just the right size for a 6-wk-old ferret to steal!

The only places outside of the cage that Rosie has chosen to explore is
under 2 chairs and with a bit of help, under the couch.  The socks go under
one of the chairs - she's quite firm that that is where they belong.

On a more serious note, she is gaining weight nicely.  She went from 275g
on Friday to 344g today (Sunday).  I'm quite pleased.  I do think mixing a
milk replacer in with the wet food is helping her.  She is very alert and
plays hard for 10-12 minutes at a time, then it's back to sleep.

I haven't heard from any breeders yet about when they usually wean their
babies.  Could someone please let me know???

Thank you!!

Kim and The Terrific Trio