From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:50:24 -0800
Jason Creager wrote:
>When I moved here, I checked into the local laws about ferrets.  They are
>considered wild here "because they are capable of rabies and there wasn't
>a better classification".

I think that someone in Las Vegas has no clue about what they speak.
In the state of Nevada, ferrets are considered domestic animals by the
Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Wildlife Division.  State
law supersedes all county and municipal law..that is, if the State says its
so, no county or city may say otherwise.  Nevada is not a 'kill' state.  If
one suffers the indignity of a ferret bite, the ferret must spend 10 days
in quarantine, in house if a shot record is provided, at an approved vet if
not, same as a dog or cat.  About 10 years ago, the ferret WAS considered
wild, but when asked to change the classification, the Wildlife Division
read all the reports provided and approved the change.  To my knowledge,
licensing of ferrets is not a requirement in any community in the State of
Nevada.

I have worked very closely with our Wildlife Division over the years, both
in my capacity as a ferret owner and as an officer and eventually President
of the Northern Nevada Herpetological Society.  As I write this, I am in
constant communications with Wildlife trying to get commercial collection
of reptiles in the State, banned.  So, I am very intimate with our laws.

For more information, anyone may call the Wildlife Division at
1 775 688-1500.  Ask for Enforcement.

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)