From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 22:38:19 -0800
>From:    Maryann Noble <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: homes for ferrets
>I don't understand people looking for monetary compensation for their
>loved one.

Only comment is that a reason to seek compensation is the same one used by
shelters to justify charging for adoptees.  If money is involved it
increases the likelyhood that the new owner will take their new charge more
seriously.  A "free" ferret might be seen as a throwaway and not given as
much care a ferret that cost real money and thus has "real" worth.
Sometimes it isn't really the money as much as the perception of value to be
considered.  Of course this isn't alawys the case nor is it always
effective.  We completely understand your feelings and do not fault you at
all for them.  We aren't completely sure of the best answer on this.  As a
rule we don't "pay" for those offered to our shelter.  Pam Grant's new
referral service is ideal for us to handle those that won't "give away"
their ferrets even though they don't want them any longer.  Luckily we've
not had too many ferrets come into or requests to help find a new home for
ferrets lately.

Oh and a personal note, I see you do know about mail lists...

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]