From:
Sherri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 19:53:27 -0500
Hi all--

Another solution to carpet "digging" .  .  .  a spray bottle filled with
water and set to "stream" mode.  It works from across the room!  with most
cats.  It only works with Pepper if the water is REALLY cold .  .  .
otherwise I can soak him and he won't bat an eyelash.  Then I have a mad wet
ferret running around.  When he gets tired of being squirted he attacks me.
No belief in "act of God" with him--he KNOWS it's me!

A note about deaf ferrets--I thought Pepper was deaf for the first month we
had him.  It turned out he was just distracted--he was so busy getting to
know the house that he ignored nearly *all* noises.  It's hard to tell
sometimes because ferrets tend to "startle" easily even when they *can*
hear.  Another thing might have been that we changed his name--it was
"Whitey" when we got him, and, being a DEW, it was just *too* trite--I had
to come up with something else!  Now that he's used to the house and the
name, he responds to my voice and his name .  .  .  sometimes he comes right
to me, most the time he at least looks in my direction.

That's all for now.

--Sherri