From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:11:14 -0500
Funny Mary should being this up...

I was going to post that my shelter, The Ferrets of Pet Pals, has been
rather active lately taking in some other shelter's ferrets in order to help
get the ferrets placed quicker.  This is my method:

December 1995 - Pet Pals drove up to Frederick, MD and picked up 6 ferrets
from a PA shelter (met us half wayish) who wanted more time to work with
some backyard breeder rescues they had.  I still have a pair here that got
ill with ECE the day after they arrived.  They are fine now, just older (4
years now).

March 2, 1996 - A Wisconcin shelter which had been at the ferret show in New
Carrolton that day drove to our house to drop off 7 ferrets which they felt
would get placed faster in my area than theirs.

In both cases, I send the adoption fees to the original shelter less $10
for each week the ferret was in my care.  It is sort of the "boarding fee".
It works out very well - I had people wanting ferrets, and they now had
space in their shelters for more incoming and time to spend with those who
remained.

For those in the VA/MD area, I have three pairs, one triple (will not be
available for adoption until after adrenal surgery and healing), and two
singles (males who prefer being the only ferret).  Adoption fees are set by
age of the ferret and discounts are given for multiple adoptions.  E-mail
for more info.  some of these ferrets will be attending the GSFC show March
23rd in New Jersey.

Pam