From:
Dave Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:31:21 -0400
Wow!  I must have gotten 30 concerned responses about my questions.  Thanks
for all the help.

We have finally named our new family members.  The older ferret is named
Geezer for obvious reasons.  The younger we have named Rambo.  Rambo got his
name for making an insane jump from my desktop to my bed.  He launched
himself off my desk ( which is higher than the bed) and missed the top of
the bed, but managed to snag the blanket hanging off the side.  He scrambled
up the blanket to the top with out even acting concerned.  My response was
"GEEZ!  Who do you think you are Rambo?".  My wife immediately started using
the name.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I decided to try spraying bitter apple on
my hands.  He attempted to bite me ONCE after this.  He spent the next few
minutes rubbing his face on the floor.  I have also started to give him a
small amount of linatone on my finger when I pick him up.  I hope this helps
establish me as a friend, and not a disciplinarion.  The only problem is
that now my wife has to use bitter apple too.  Before, she could handle him
for hours and not get bitten.  I would hold him only a few minutes before he
"chomped".  Now that he no longer bites me (bitter apple), he bites my wife.
She is now using the bitter apple also.

I feel that I need to clarify my original post.  After reading it a second
time I see that it could be misleading.  My older ferret does not have a
problem walking or using his back legs.  His problem occurs when he tries to
rise up off his front legs like a "prairie dog".  The best way I can
describe this is that his body is completely verticle, and he is almost
sitting on his back legs (or haunches).  This position is ver much like the
"begging dog".  When he does this he stays balanced for awhile, but then it
seems his back "gives way", unable to hold his entire weight vertical for
very long.  Anyone seen this before?  Is this something to worry about?

Thanks for all the concern and help.  I will keep you up to date on our
little guys.

-dave