Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:32:46 -0400
Sukie wrote:
>You MUST plan for this sort of thing.  It's one of the reasons why it's
>just plain foolish for people to have too many in the same age bracket, or
>to have more than they can afford to care for.  I know that some marvelous
>folks get around this by donating labor at their vets' offices to displace
>some costs, but not all vets will be amenable to that, and the folks I know
>who do it are trained in biology and known as trustworthy by the vets
>involved.  This means WE ALL MUST SAVE MONEY toward future medical needs
>and we must LOGICALLY PLAN for them.

The only thing I would like to add to Sukie's excellent, excellent advice
above is that if you don't feel like you can save money right now, get an
extra credit card and keep it dedicated to emergencies only.  I have a
card that I call the health card-- if ever me or the ferrets need medical
attention that I can't afford on a cash basis, I have that card to fall
back on.  Thursday in fact Cully is going in for adrenal surgery that if I
paid for in cash would leave me unable to pay my utilities this month.
Since I have this card, I can send him in with no hesitation (well, from a
financial standpoint anyway).  Even when I was deeply in debt, I had credit
card offers coming in all the time-- take one of those offers up and keep
that card for the times you really need it!

Regina

"I'm grazing with the dinosaurs and the dear old horses..."
                                                -- Nick Cave
Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083