From:
Jessica Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:44:57 -0500
Hi everyone...
I am new to the FML as well as a first-time poster...what a knowledgeable
group!  I am the proud foster mom to Diamond, Tigger, Zeus & Chloe as
well as the proud original mom to Spencer & Ferret....ferret math strikes
again!!  I have several quetions to ask of everyone in the hopes of
getting some guidance from those who know.  Here it goes...

1. I would love to hear stories from people who have/are living with
frets who have cardiac problems...one of my 2-year olds, Spencer, went
to the vet for her checkup the other day & we received the bad news that
she has an arrythmia of some type.  She'll go in for an EKG & X-ray on
Tuesday, so then we'll know more.  However, I am getting bummed out in
advance & I guess I want someone to tell me that their ferret lived to be
20 years old & frolicked & played with glee up until their last moments
in spite of their disease.  However, reality checks are welcome too!!

2. Has anyone here ever had an adrenal ferret who successfully treated
him/her with cryosurgery?  Three of my frets are adrenal & I would prefer
not to have to medicate them day in & out for the rest of their lives, and
cryosurgery sounds interesting.  If anyone knows of a vet in my area who
performs this surgery, please advise!  Also, I am interested in findng out
what drugs people are treating their adrenal ferrets with these days...I
had them all on Mitotane, but then one of them had what my vet called a
reaction to the Mitotane all of a sudden, so they're all off it now &
awaiting their first vaccinations of Lupron this week.  Is Mitotane a
thing of the past, as my vet claims?  I always thought Lupron was used to
treat prostate enlargement in adrenal males, but now I am to understand
that Luron is the latest & greatest treatment for adrenal tumors in both
males & females.  My shelter mom has never heard of Lupron used in
females...any light that could be shed on this would be fabulous.

3. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of my frets has an ulcer...he
will also be going in on Tuesday to have this checked out.  In the
meantime, I wanted to ask if anyone has ever experieced this and how the
ferret responded to the treatment., i.e. what is the long-term prognosis,
how long did it take to heal, etc.

3. I am on the market for a decent lead/harness set for all six of the
'naughties"...can anyone recommend a brand other than Marshall??  I have
tried a generic pet store brand, but the fit was atrocious & they wriggled
right out...seeing how I have six to buy, I definitely want to do my
homework before putting down the money.  Any recommendations other than
Marshall would be great...I absolutely refuse to buy Marshall products
because of their business practice of selling innocents to labs.  I am
also searching for a sweater for one of my adrenal foster ferrets...she
has lost most of the fur on her stomach & is beginning to lose it on her
neck (brrr!!) and i would like to get her a sweater to get her through the
remaining cold months.  I know Marshall makes one, but once again...!!!
If anyone knows of a place where I could obtain a nice sweater for a
ferret, I would appreciate being filled in.

I think that's all...thanks in advance to anyone who answers!
Blessed be...

For the animals,
The Humans: Jessica & Geoffrey
The Pup: Abe
The Kits: Fixwee & Kitty, and Nanu at the Bridge
The Naughties: Ferret, Spencer, Diamond, Tigger, Zeus & Chloe

jessica l. manson
whimsy creative photography!
28 stafford st.
plymouth, ma 02360