From:
"Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:44:48 +0000
Hi all  :-)

I adopted Brickbat from a shelter nine months ago.  She was about 1.5 years
old and had been in the shelter system for several months.  Apparently she
had been trained to use the litter box in her cage at the shelter but she
did not retain that skill when we brought her home.

In the last nine months we have managed to get her up to about 80% usage
outside of the cage.  The big problem is at night when she is in the cage
with the other three ferrets.  We have a three-level Prevue-Hendrix cage
with a litter pan on the bottom level.  The wire floor beneath the pan is
protected by several heavy ceramic tiles.  If a human is standing in front
of the cage Brickbat will usually go in the pan like she is supposed to.
However, at night she just plants her butt in every corner and makes a
disgusting mess.

Methods I have tried: housing her in a carrier with a litter pan (worked
for a while, then she started crapping on her blankets); rewarding her for
using the pan; making her use it before she comes out; tied boxes, clothes,
and toys in the corners (she craps on them too); Bitter Apple; moving the
litter pan; adding a second pan; cleaning the pan before bed.

My boyfriend's latest solution has been for me to let HIM clean up the
messes so I don't burst a blood-vessel.  :>

The other ferrets were 100% while in the cage until recently.  Now Seymore
is taking hints from Bricky and not bothering to use the box either!

Is there something I am missing?  Or is it her brain that has gone
AWOL?  Are some ferrets destined to be forever untrainable?  If you can
help PLEASE send me some suggestions.

-mel
~ Question the definition of Progress ~
        ~ www.Adbusters.org ~