From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 19:24:56 EDT
I'm just catching up on fml's. Someone wrote a few days back:
>I have had indoor/outdoor animals but have never had fleas in my home.
>The trick is Sevin dust.

I know that several other people have posted, but thought I'd throw in my 2
cents also--the insecticide Sevin is NOT meant to be used around animals.
It is a VERY strong insecticide.  PLEASE DO NOT USE IT AROUND FERRETS or
any other animal.  Someone else posted recently about hearing of a kitten
who died after using an over the counter flea preparation.

Please don't take chances with ferrets, kittens, or other pets.  If you
need to use something, at least try something relatively safe such as
Advantage.  It costs a few dollars extra and you can only get it from your
vet, but you only use a drop once a month (if needed).  Please don't buy
over the counter flea insecticides, especially for ferrets.

On vaccination reactions...vaccinations are very strong also.  After my
dog and cats are a few years old, I only vaccinate them for rabies every 3
years (and just the cats who go outside).  After they are a few years old,
I only vaccinate the ferrets I take places (mainly because they wouldn't
be allowed in without them).  I never vaccinate older animals.  I wouldn't
tell anyone what to do about vaccines, but if you are at all interested,
please read up on some of the hazards.  (And I'm talking about animals who
are a few years old and have had several rounds of vaccines).  I think it's
something everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Randy wrote about little Flaggy's last day...
I do think it's very important for an animal (or person) to know they are
loved before they die.  I believe some people are privileged to play that
role, even though it is extremely difficult.  But I am very sure it helps
the animal's spirit and they won't forget the person (people) who cared
about them right before they crossed over to the other side.

Ronnie in Mass.