From:
ekrueger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:49:06 -0500
~~~~~Wishing dooks to all that can and nuzzles to those who need them~~~~~

                            PLEASE HELP!!

Ok, here is my situation....a little over two weeks ago I adopted a
loveable pair of fuzzbutts.  One of them (Valentine) was meant to be a
play companion for my other young ferret (Taz), both about 1.5yrs.  I
wanted to think ahead as his cagemate is 5, has cataracts, and although
'Smokey' is still quite active and playful...he has slowed down a bit.
My others are about 6 (Tash) and 7 (Willow).

The one I am concerned about is Willow, the 7yr old that I just adopted.
I adopted her knowing she needed special care....but she is NOT responding
to it.  The shelter mom said that she goes through spells of eating and
not eating.  She is VERY thin.  I brought her home and she continued not
eating.  I ended up suspecting ulcers as she shows other signs like teeth
grinding.  After a couple days of watching her closely, I started her on a
half tablet of Pepcid dissolved in 0.5cc of water as a premedication about
15min. before I gave her gravy.  I was soooo happy the first time cuz she
ate the gravy on her own! :)  I didn't want to force feed her cuz I know
that is just more stress.

Well, that only happened once.  I have had to scruff and force feed her
with a syringe ever since.  Let me tell you....there isn't much of her to
scruff, and she still manages to clench her mouth shut.  I actually pry
her mouth open by pulling on her chin (gently of course) and getting a
bobby pin between her teeth so she can't shut it.  (The bobby pin has soft
rounded ends.) Anyhoo, once I got feed into her for a couple feedings, it
ends up she is too weak to make it to the litter box.  She is completely
incontinent and goes all over herself.  I have been giving her baths every
morning.  It's the one thing she seems to enjoy.  I guess it's the warmth
and lack of stress on her bones.  She is nothing but bones and fur.  She
has actually lost the ability to control her back end to walk at all.  Now
she doesn't do much but lift her head and front end once in a while.  For
the past two mornings, her eyes have been completely crusted shut also.  I
clean and open them durring bath time.

After her meds, bath and first feeding, she stays nuzzled in a blankie on
my lap or on the desk in front of me every morning as I read the fml, eat
breakfast etc.  I am continuing this ritual, but I have only seen decline.
It seems as if she has no quality of life left...except when she is
nuzzling with me...but even then.....the way she looks at me is just
heartbreaking.

I have felt sooooo blessed to have the opportunity to show her love and a
gentle touch.  She made me cry after the first med/gravy feeding where she
ate on her own....that was my first kiss.  She's actually really good at
those.  WHAT DO I DO???  IS IT TIME TO HELP HER??  Is there something more
I can do for her?

Thank you for listening...I apologize for the long post, and appreciate any
advice you can give.  You can mail me directly or to the list.  Please use
subject 'Willow' cuz my mail has a spam protector.

-Elke