From:
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:45:08 -0700
I got quite a few comments from folks over the past couple days thanking
me for stating the things I state.  I do appreciate those comments.

>From:    "Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: zen definitely annoys a portion of the FML readership...
>Yeah, you're right.  You certainly annoyed ME!  Are you saying that Alicia
>is well rested and financially in the black and that she's just making
>this up to raise money?

Of course not.  If I didn't have that in my post than I didn't say that.
But lets back up and quote exactly what you already quoted...

>>Alicia is at the point of exhaustion and without necessary funds?
>
>She always is.  Its part of fund raising to say things like that.

I quoted someone saying that Alicia was exhausted and without funds.  I
then admitted quite plainly that that was true.  I then said that she
always talks about that as part of fund raising.  I didn't say "She always
says she is."  I said "She always is."  I said nothing that should give
anyone the idea that I think most shelter folk aren't hard working.

>The above was just kinda stuck into the middle of your message so I'm not
>sure I understand what you were driving at.

Did I say that adrenal problems were a myth?  Nope.  Did I say that I am
immune?  Nope.  (Well actually kind of I am - but my ferrets are not.)
What one she possibly conclude from my statement is that perhaps we are
doing something right.  It might be that we have avoided some unknown virus
that is associated with adrenal problems or it might be that the way we
care for our ferrets reduces the probability of getting the problem.

Over the years I have stated that I believe strongly that there is some
environmental component to this problem.  Perhaps from multiple factors in
the environment.  I have stated quite often that I suspect that heat and
lack of ventilation contribute to the lack of general health in ferrets.
But you do have to take my body of work as a whole and not single out this
single posting.  If you have many more adrenal problems than someone else -
find out what they do differently.

Before you conclude that we have some animosity to other shelters talk to
more of them - and certainly not just the most talkative on-line.  But do
not expect me to say exactly what some other shelters want or expect me to
say.  I do have different beliefs about how to go about this ferret shelter
thing and about ferret care.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Just my dream for the ferrets
>In a dream world-these guys would only be sold by licensed breeders to
>individuals.  But they would be expensive-say $1400.Maybe $800. would be
>refunded with proof of neutering in timely manner.  $200. would be applied
>to research and shelters.

I think your dream would be my nightmare.  Huge step backwards.  Your
dollar figures are truly bizarre.

Ferrets are great pets for folks in smaller apartments or that can not
afford larger and more costly pets like dogs.  Why price out people
for political motives?  (Politics isn't only about political parties.)

>When price of fert is increased, and people have to go out of their way
>for fert to find one--at least CHANCES of a good home increase.

Non-sequitor.  Unfortunately its not a matter of cost nor effort sometimes.
In many parts of the country you DO have to go out of your way to find
ferrets.  Wanna read my email where folks are begging for ferrets because
they can't get them where they are?  If the price of ferrets goes back up
they will return to a more faddish status where you have to be rich enough
to afford one.  That brings in folks who want a ferret just to have one as
a status symbol not to have as a pet.  Look at the folks who spend many
thousands of dollars on a Tennessee walking horse just to torture it into
stepping high.

>At least this way there would be many more ferts that are healthy,
>and there would be money for research and shelters that can place mostly
>healthy ferts in good homes.

Nope.  As ferrets become more widespread there is more chance of research
for them.  While they were a uncommon pet there was no desire for companies
to research and develop products.  Even if there is this illusory magic
research money it doesn't make sense for companies to develop products for
a tiny market.  Few ferret mean few ferret owners which means few sales.
Many ferrets means many ferret owners which means many sales.  For example
I have two tractors - one is a Silver King and the other is a Ford Golden
Jubilees.  Some 8000 Silver Kings tractors were ever made.  Tens of
thousands of my Ford were made in a single year.  Parts are easily
available for the Ford.  They are impossible to find for the Silver King.
The Silver King is more expensive to buy but no one makes products for it
as there are fewer folks to buy the products.

I am not politically correct about ferrets.  I think people should have
ferrets.  I am egalitarian about it.  Rich folks, poor folks.  City
folks, country folks.  It is elitist to want to price people out of
ferret ownership.

>From:    Juliana Quadrozzi - FERRET BUSINESS of GA
>Subject: Response to a statement about shelters

There are indeed shelters that willfully do not disclose health issues.

-bill