From:
Amy Flemming - WORK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:11:42 +0800
Traci wrote:
>Specifically, what is happening is that while they in their hammock Parker
>latches onto Presley's neck and will not let go.  For anything.  I know
>this is common ferret play but when they do it outside of the cage it
>seems very different.  WHile this is happening I can hear a bit of
>clucking and hissing although I'm never certain which one is doing it.
>I've gone over the cage to stop Parker or remove him--it is next to
>impossible to get him to unlatch his teeth with the exception of offering
>a raisin and even then it takes a moment.

Sudden aggression or mating habits (grabbing the back of the neck and
holding is a mating habit sometimes used in play) is a warning of adrenal.
Keep a close eye on that boy for hair loss or thin skin.

Also, even tho you think you are doing right, you may be encouraging Parker
by *rewarding* him with a rasin when he "strong holds" Presley.  Try
another method - like blowing in his nose (they will usually let go from
this method).

>this is entirely out of his nature (Presley has always been the more
>aggressive one, and since he is younger has more energy for it, too).
>Three, Presley does not seem to like it but yet he doesn't attempt to move
>or get away, although I'm certain he has the power and strength to do so.

Parker may also be trying to re-establish himself in the pecking order
since they have both moved to a new home.  However, my hunch is adrenal.

Amy Flemmming