From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 21:44:04 -0500
There has been quite a bit of discussion on vaccine reactions lately and I'm
going to put my $.02 in!

I used to use FROMM-D (actually, I have 10 vials left) and have decided to
switch to FERVAC.  I have had a few ferrets vaccinated with FERVAC w/out any
problems.  My vet has been using FERVAC since late Sept 94 and has not had
one adverse reaction.

I realize that when *you* are the owner and your pet is having a reaction,
nothing is scarier, and your experience is the mst important at the time.
And each time someone lists a post about having a terrible experience, it
seems to solidify more negativity for that product.

What is being lost here is the number of vaccinations given in which there
are no reactions - but people don't send in posts: "Hey, my guys got
vaccinated today and no-one got a reaction!"

We react when the ferrets react!

And what Dr Williams said is absolutely true - vaccine reactions are not new
- dogs and cats have been suffering thru them for years - I saw this quite a
bit at the animal hospital where I worked.  Many ferret people I've spoken
with act like ferrets are the first animals that have ever had reactions to
vaccines.  Why, WE HUMANS react to vaccines - remember not so long ago the
hype about whooping cough and babies - should they or shouldn't they be
given, because some babies were dying from the vaccine?

I recently went thru the rabies vaccinations series myself (dogs fought w/a
raccoon in my backyard and I didn't realize it was coon until after I got
blood all over myself!) and I developed an allergic reaction that worsened
w/each injection - however they wouldn't stop the injections because they
can't, and I took Benadryl before and after the injection.

Since there is a question that vaccinated a ferret with Galaxy make whoops -
I mean MAY - actually CAUSE distemper, using that product is not an option
for me.  Hopefully they will bring FROMM back (shall we sign a countrywide
petition and send it to SOLVAY???!) When using FERVAC, let common sense
prevail - bring a book and stay at the vet's for 30 minutes - and don't
vaccinate for rabies on the same day.

HEY, THIS COUNTRY-WIDE PETITION SOUNDS LIKE A WAY TO GO - CAN WE GET TOGETHER
ON THIS??  BIG: CAN YOU HELP WITH THIS - COLLECT ALL THE POSTS AND SEND THEM

[Moderator's note:  I'll set up an email forwarding address for anyone who
wants to collect them, but really doubt I can keep track of too much more to
do it myself.  BIG]

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA