From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 13:11:43 -0800
>From:    "Kirk F. Stantis" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret Health Issues on the FML
>... wanted to know if anyone else ever gets to feeling a little down about
>the worries we ferret folk go through.  As a cat, dog, rabbit, bird, rat,
>hamster, gerbil, toad, turtle, chameleon, and current ferret owner, I find
>their potential health risks quite nerve-racking.  Just reading the health
>FAQ had me scared stiff and wondering what I had gotten myself into.

Ferret folk have had to become more self sufficeint until veterinary
medicine catches up.  It has in some areas but not many.  We in the DC area
are extremely fortunate to have several of the very best vets available.

All animals have dire diseases.  You don't hear about them in the "chep"
pocket pets as much because they are considered "more disposable" since they
only live a couple years if healthy.  Dogs and cats do indeed have as many
diseases as ferrets but vets usually take care of them just fine.  There are
many many breed specific problems that ferrets don't have.

Part of the problem though is the part of the ferret world that gets off on
promoting themselves as the answer to all ferret problems.  If you don't
know about the problems you won't need to acknowledge them so they promote
the negatives heavily.  Ferret ranches are far better than puppy mills but
if you knew that you wouldn't be outraged and jump in following the
muckrakers.  ECE is a particularly nasty disease but it will be dealt with.
Ferrets don't have to deal with feline leukemia or FIV.  I'll take ECE over
FIV.  Most pet carnivores have some form of distemper to deal with.  Its
just as deadly in all of them.  We've seen many many dogs with tumors.

Its not really all that bad.  Ferrets are actually strong robust animals.
Don't worry, be happy.  Just like your ferrets....

>From:    Sergio Coccia <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets in heat?
>when do ferrets go into heat for the first time.

Normally within a few months after their first winter solstice.  Okay those
kept inside are less predictable but its still normally the first late
winter/early spring.

We let our jills wean the kits themselves.  Anywhere from 5 to 9 weeks
usually.  Some seem to enjoy nursing for even more weeks.  Normally we'd
think 10 weeks is a good age to think about seperating.  But we used to
think 12.  Normally we think 8 is a bit early.

Normally we recommend spay or neuter from between 6 to 12 months of age.  It
can cost anywhere from $25 to $100.  Normal is some $50 for males.  $85 for
females depending upon costs of living in your area.

>Does anyone own a non desented ferret?

In the vast majority of cases, descenting os a waste of money.  We recommend
it only in medical or behavioral problem cases.

>From:    swamp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Biters, Ferret lingo, politics and (gasp!) MF
>Re: Marshall Farms, politics, and why we're so screwed up

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: INSTANT DEATH - MINK

Aren't we heading deep into to the "verbotten" animal rights on this topic?
We could go into mink but this isn't a "Mink" mailing list.  The past is
past.  Can't change it now.  That book is selected articles from magazines
published in the first few decades of this century.  It also talks about
feeding ferrets graham and milk.  Doesn't matter much now.  Talking about
the "old practices" is fine but maybe less as a "shocker" and more as a "my
we've learned a lot".

We don't meant to hopelessly bash Mr. Lipinski because in many ways we
emphatically agree with...

>This seems to be evident in the FML postings wherein owners seek this
>peculiar and selfish (?) need to "see" or anthropomorphize human emotions
>and human-like behavior and response qualities in their ferrets.

We certainly don't have to agree with everybody on everything though.  Nor
does anyone else.

>From:    Sean Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Breeder Needed

Come East... We have English (James McKay not Doug McKay lines <g>), Swedish
and non-McKay American lines at many breeders around here.  But what papers
is it you expect?  IFFB has no influence outside of Michighan.  FURO is
done.  Lots of AFA and LIFE champions.

Doug McKay is pretty darned influential out there isn't he?

>From:    Terri Beier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blind ferret

Blind ferrets are just ferrets that can't see.  Our blind couple are just as
"ferret" as any others.  They'll do about anything any other ferret will.
Only precautions to worry about is things like sneaking up silently.  Kind
of hard to do though.  We just let ours get a good sniff and good listen to
us before reaching out to them.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/