From:
Cheryl Cato <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 1994 15:37:13 -0400
To: anon Re: Poptie's new cage
> A happy aside note: Potpie's got a new cage. 4' high, 3'x2' wide and
> long, with five different broad shelves and a linoleum bottom--we saw the
> cage (it's a 'cat cage') at the pet store and thought it was PERFECT for
> the little oft-locked-up girl. She loves the room, and for the amount of
> space the cage provides, its collapsibility, and the ease of cleaning it,
> the $180 i paid was a bargain (it's even on wheels :). It also provided a
> stellar hiding place for the poor girl when we introduced her to  the
> only other ferret she's ever met--a bumbling, huge Pepe le Peu of a sable
> male who didnt even notice she was hiding under the cage until she bolted
> for the bed.

I got one of these for my 3 kids, too.  It's great, isn't it?  I added
a "hidey spot" to theirs.  I took a 2 level cat condo - put hooks on
both ends, and use S-hooks to hang it from the side of the cage.  It
gives them 2 holes to crawl into - which of course they think is
excellent.

> >    I am Ferret of Borg
> >                Bitter Apple is Irrelevant
> >                        Litterboxes are Irrelevant
> >                                Your Socks will be Assimilated

        PERFECT!  ;->

To: "[log in to unmask]" Re:  sounds

> Rocko doesn't make a "dook" sound when he's happy/excited; he makes a
> "kih" sort of sound, like a repeated, short hiss.  Is this what's
> meant by the "dook" sound?  Does he maybe have an accent?  :)

The "dook dook" is different than the hissing sound you describe.  My
fuzzies do both.  Is your ferret young?  It took my Binky a while to
learn the "dook dook".  The "kih" didn't come right away either.  At
first - all she did was this pathetic little "maaaa" when I'd come
in the house and she was ready to be let out of the cage.  She was
*very* tiny.  Pretty soon she learned the "kih kih kih" - and would
do it at everything.... moving or not.  I laughed until I cried.  Now
she does the "dook dook".  She may have learned it from the elders.

To: ??? Re: mistreated ferret

<Sorry - I don't have the original article>
BRAVO!!!!  Don't let ignorant jerks get away with stuff like this!
I would check on the seizure laws first.   Find a rescuer nearby.
If laws allow (ie: they'll let a rescuer have them and not have
them killed) - I would have them picked up.