From:
"Sam Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 23:35:06 -0700
Todd Leuthold wrote:
>From: Mia and Patrick Emery <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret BBQ
>We had our first annual ferret BBQ on Saturday, it was great!...

You BBQ'ed ferrets???!!!???  EEEeeewww!  Not to sound gross or anything,
but...how did they taste?  Why did you clip the toenails first?  Did it
make them easier to BBQ, or just easier to eat?  Did they complain much
while being cooked?  Did any of them play with the charcoal while they were
roasting?  Did you use raisin sauce on them?  What kind of kool-aid goes
with ferret?  Did you have ferret steaks, or just ferret-on-a-stick?  How
many ferrets did it take to get filled up?  Did the kids like the ferrets?
Which tasted better--the sables, or the cinnamons?  Come on here...let's
share the info folx!

Actually, the nails were clipped and claws kept to put in the BBQ marinade.
The ferrets were cooked in a variety of ways.  A couple made into 'hot
ferrets' (as opposed to hot dogs, since no dogs were available), mose were
BBQ'd into ferret steaks.  A few were made into ferret burgers, and only one
made it into ferret kebab.

Personally, I found little difference in the taste of the different colours,
although I did find that the younger ones *did* tend to be more tender, but
the older had a tad more flavour.  Guess it depends what you're looking for.

We didn't require kool-aid, the ferrets all provided a lot of moisture -
luckily only one was over-cooked!!  Poor girl was so small... Alas, no
children got to taste the ferrets... the adults enjoyed the first so much
that they couldn't bear to give out any of this treat to others!!  You're
right in one thing, it takes several ferrets to get full... darned beasts
are so small!!  Especially those yummy tender kits!

Raisin sauce isn't required if the ferrets are fed copious amounts of
raisins two hours before preparing for the meal.  Ahhh... we never thought
of cooking them live, so don't know if they would play in the charcoal or
not.  May be worth a try <G>

Hope this information helps in any future BBQ's you plan.  Personally, I
preferred the ferret burgers, although apparently the ferret kebab was
delectable... maybe I'll try that next time...

For those trying ferret BBQ's.... I'd personally suggest the meat direct
from the supermarket rather than a do-it-yourself butchery... do-it-yourself
often means lower grade cuts of meat :o0 and for some reason, some people
tend to be squeamish when faced with their own animals.

Sam